1988 wellcraft portofino

paine

Recruit
I need to replace a 9 teeth ccw starter on 1987 gmc 454 7.4 liter engine stern drive but part number is rusted off any suggestions...??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
11593F-p.jpg

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You sure that Portofino is a stern drive?
all of them that I worked on were straight inboards.
Used a top mount starter.
Got a engine serial number?
Port or Starboard engine?

paine

Recruit
its the port side this is my first boat someone told me it was a stern drive I pulled the starter off engine so maybe it's not stern drive

achris

More fish than mountain goat
its the port side this is my first boat someone told me it was a stern drive I pulled the starter off engine so maybe it's not stern drive

Does it have legs or just shafts and propellers?

muc

Port side inboards are never reverse rotation.

That's not true. A couple of the Borg-Warner transmissions with a certain ratio reversed the rotation. Those engines with that ratio will have a RH rotation engine on the port side.

Last edited:

muc

Wow, a 43' long 15' beam first boat! If it is an inboard the starter should have been bolted to the flywheel housing, not the engine block.
You didn't provide a serial number so can't be sure. But my best guess is you need p/n 808011A05
What you will need to pay attention to, is what side the teeth on the starter drive have the bevel on.

http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech determine marine starter rotation.pdf