454 fuel pump

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
After rebuilding the carb again and dumping the fuel filter again I'm now not getting fuel to the carb.in fact it's not even sucking fuel into the filter

I pulled the pump and the housing where the cam is (belt driven attached to the water pump not the camshaft in the engine) is completely dry. I assume there is supposed to be oil in there to lube where the cam pushes on the pump arm and the lack of lube, I assume, is why the pump arm has significant wear and this wear is why it's not pumping fuel.

I spun the pulley and the cam moves as if it would push against the pump arm but there's what appears to be a sleeve over the actual cam that can spin around the cam. I'm not sure if that description makes sense but I need to know if this is normal or if the cam in the seawater pump is bad.

Lastly is there any reason I can't replace it with an electric pump? Any recommendations on a pump

Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I assume there is supposed to be oil in there to lube where the cam pushes

Correct, gear oil and Yes you can replace it with an electric fuel pump made for a carb application. Remember to install the pressure safety switch

TBarCYa

Any idea what pressure and flow rate? I assume up to 7psi and at least 40gph?

TBarCYa

More questions .. First, does the oil also lube the pump shaft bearings? Second, can the water separating filter be after the pump?

alldodge

Staff member
.. First, does the oil also lube the pump shaft bearings?

Use drive lube in the housing
The lube lubricates the cam and bearings
Fuel pressure should be 3-7 psi
Check your antisiphon valve at the tank, may be clogged

TBarCYa

I got the pump and installed it today. Now the engine runs again and I can open the secondaries in neutral without any hesitation or bogging Unfortunately I won't be able to get out for a load test until Saturday but I have a good feeling about it.