Captains Call Exhaust

I was thinking about (just thinking 🤔) installing Captains Call thru hull exhaust on my 2000 Crownline 266 br, 7.4 mpi.

Im looking for pros and cons and estimated prices.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Most people with thru-hull regret doing it. It's fun for the first 5 minutes, then it's just annoying. At least if you have the choice you can switch it back to thru-prop after the novelty wears off. And if you're thinking about performance improvements... Unless you're on the raggedy edge, none to be had.

It's not cheap for 5 minutes of fun either.

Maybe go boat shopping and find a few with thru-hull and take them for a drive.... That should be enough to make an informed decision.

Chris......

alldodge

Staff member
I've had it an like it, also can be an improvement if you have a Bravo 3 even if you have a tube. Would have it now but unable to due to cam and exhaust

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
There are plenty of experts out there who claim that on a stock setup the performance of thru-prop is actually better than thru-hull. Lots of vacuum behind the prop to suck exhaust out. But yeah, almost everyone who does it regrets it, loud boats aren't like load cars, running at a constant RPM gets really annoying really quick.

SkiGuy1980

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was thinking about (just thinking 🤔) installing Captains Call thru hull exhaust on my 2000 Crownline 266 br, 7.4 mpi.

I looked into having it installed on my Crown with a 350 MAG.... Quote from the shop in Cincinnati was around $3400, but if done over the winter the price would be around 2800 or 2900. I found the price to be reasonable (the kit alone for both sides was over 2300 and this way I didn't have to take a drill to the hull myself).
I'd read a lot about perfomance improvement (and a little about negative impact). The shop said they'd not seen an impact either way.
Ultimately it wasn't a high enough priority after the fact for me to pull the trigger. I love the sound at idle, but definately don't want to drone on down the lake while cruising.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a complete corsa kit that I will be installing on my big block after I get done with my re-gel. due to my custom elbows (because of my custom cam), I have a lot of fab work ahead of me and I may not be able to use the cut-outs ("select-able" part). the side-exits that I am using have mufflers which sound really good compared to a straight open exhaust as I was able to ride in a chris-craft with the same system, mufflers and tips.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I love the drone of twin turbo diesel inboards but gas powered I/O(s) are just annoying.

Anymore, I'll take the quietness of 4 stroke outboards. Nothing but gear whine and the whistle of the wind thru the antennas. Being able to carry out a conversation with your boat mates w/o yelling while underway ... priceless.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the first day of using my Mariah I/O boat, at about 40 MPH, I was talking to my neighbor/passenger about possibly adding the Capt's Call exhaust. He whispered "But then you wouldn't be able to hear this". I agreed and did not go for it.

I can tell what the type of power boat and exhaust system is going past my dock (1/8 mile away) by just listening to the engine sound with eyes closed. If I can hear the engine plainly it is an outboard, with subtle difference in the 4-strokes. If the sound is loud, it is an inboard or I/O with straight exhaust. If I hear nothing and have to open my eyes to look, it is a regular I/O.

achris

... gas powered ..

Whenever I hear 'gas-powered' I automatically picture a gas-turbine... and how GREAT that would be in my boat!! :eek:
I'd definitely need thru-hulls with that.... :D

Click image for larger version  Name:	gas turbine.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	10681613

achris

Sure sounds like a ford chevy thing.

Well, here (Oz) both those manufacturers are 'on the nose'... We're all waiting for Toyota or Hyundai to bring out a stern drive... I'm loving the idea of a 10 year warranty, a manufacturer who'll back the product and not having to worry about getting 'marine taxed' into the poor house. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chris....
(only half joking ;))

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Toyota did a marine motor for ski boats.....it was......how can I put this delicately......a shiece of pit. That whole need low end torque to pull skiers was kind of missed

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, here (Oz) both those manufacturers are 'on the nose'... We're all waiting for Toyota or Hyundai to bring out a stern drive... I'm loving the idea of a 10 year warranty, a manufacturer who'll back the product and not having to worry about getting 'marine taxed' into the poor house. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chris....
(only half joking ;))

Well yeah, you keep "waiting" while the rest of us are boating.....Keep us informed of any progress in that endeavor ;-)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I had Capts Call in the boat in my signature (when the OMG 460 King Kobra was installed)

EVERY TIME I switched it to "thru-hull" everyone around me would scream "TURN IT OFF!! TURN IT OFF!!"
(btw, it made NO DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE)

So when I pulled the OMC and replaced with the 7.4L Mercruiser Bravo, I put the Capts Call "stuff" in a box on the floor.

It's still there....in a box on the floor.................It seems to work better there......

Cheers,

Rick

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Suppose it’s all about taste.
I have it and love it. But it’s certainly not to everyone’s taste. Knowing when to switch it off is key. By its definition, captains call means its switchable. That said it’s still noisy switched off. Some exhaust still comes out my side exits when it’s turned off.
I only have a small block and I’ve heard most say it doesn’t make a difference to performance. I can tell you for sure it does. Looking at the rpm on smart craft at wot with them off, then switching them to open, my boat will gain around 80/90 rpm, after the initial load is dealt with from power taken to open them and hold them open on actuators. It takes power to open them.
This may be a result of my short block having a cam fitted I suppose but I’d imagine on a big block it would certainly make a slight difference.
I also find it handy to check the cooling water flow too.
The twin pipes each side exit looks nice too.