470 Rookie Mistake - forgot to prime oil pump - help

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
As the title suggests.

i jist completed a full rebuild of my 470 and forgot to prime the oil pump.

i did align it with the distributor shaft though.

the engine is now fully built and installed in the boat but when I tried to get oil pressure by cranking, it won’t even fill the oil filter.

i removed the filter to find it clean. I tried using an empty bottle filled with fresh oil and connected a host to the oil filter threaded galleryand tried to pump oil into the pump by hand but it’s not accepting it.

what can I do ?

i have a shaft from a dizzy - can I put it on a drill and prime by spinning the pump ?

thanks in advance

ron

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
i have a shaft from a dizzy - can I put it on a drill and prime by spinning the pump ?
I believe you can prime the engine that way.but its best to use the whole dist to keep things straight Have seen 8 point sockets used on the lobe part of the dist after the drive gear is removed . Only other option is to use a hex shaft with the dist removed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pre-fill the oil filter

you should be able to back-fill the pump thru the oil cooler ports as well, however that has to drip past the relief piston in the pump and would take a month of sundays.

you shoudl be able to use a section of hex key to spin the pump

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I do have a long hex shaft the correct size for the oil pump and a cordless drill.

ill try that tomorrow.

what worries me is that cranking isn’t drawing oil up and I hope that is due to not having primed the pump.

do I spin it clock or counter clock ?

scott thanks but I don’t think this has an oil cooler ?

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Doc.

anither thing - today I was trying to prime via the Center filter hole but checking the manual this hole goes to the galleries not the pump. I suppose the hole going to pump is the one above with the mesh gauze ?

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Solved - 2 dizzy shafts connected together by some fuel hose and a bat driver and she is full oil pressure

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Lol Chris batt driver - hand held battery operated drill.

worked a treat or did it just do the trick ?