Alpha 1 Gen II Stern-drive Oil in Cooling Water & Water In Stern-drive Oil

ckirk

Cadet
Over the past few seasons I have regularly had to add gear oil to the reservoir for my 1999 Alpha I Gen II (coupled to a 3.0L) as it will drop maybe an inch throughout a summer season. I do not have oil in the bellows or oil dripping in the driveway. And each season when I changed the gear oil the oil was clean, no water. My plan was to leave well enough alone, as long as the reservoir loss was small and the drive oil remained clean.
This year was no different, until now. This past weekend I drained water from the engine I found gear oil in the water drained from the upper drain plug, definite blue tint to the water. The water from the lower drain was clear, but the boat had not been run in a few weeks so I assume the oil floated up inside the engine.
Today I winterized and when I pulled the bottom oil screw from the drive the oil that drained from the drive for the first few seconds was mixed with water. So whatever leak that previously was one way is now letting water in and I assume significantly more oil out.
I have the drive off the boat and have the winter to fix the issue; since there is still no oil in the bellows or leak from the prop shaft I will focus on the upper drive shaft seals and lower drive shaft seals below the water pump. I am wondering that since I found gear oil in the engine water cavity if it is the lower drive shaft seal letting oil up into the water pump intake.
I plan to do a pressure test and inspection to find the leak, but I am hoping someone else has seen the type of issue and might be able to provide some insight. Thanks in advance for any help and feedback.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Oil in the engine cooling passages would most likely be the lower drive shaft seals, under the water pump. When you split the drive to service the impeller, under the plate is a 'dome'. The seals are in that. Get a water pump repair kit, -817275K05, and it includes a new seal and carrier...

Chris.........

ckirk

Cadet
Update: I pressure tested the drive and it held at 7psi and then 12 psi both overnight, so apparently no major seal failure, Today I pulled the water pump impeller and drive shaft seal, attached are close up photos of the drive shaft at the seal contact area. Based on the drive shaft wear I assume this is the source of my problem. Is there any way to repair this other than to replace the drive shaft or lower unit? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo309102.jpg
    photo309102.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo309103.jpg
    photo309103.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
You need to get a micrometer reading of the area where the wear is. Then go to either a bearing supply house or on the internet. The repair sleeve from Speedy Sleeve will repair the area. They work great and the repair is permanent. The kit comes with a aluminum sleeve to drive the Speedy Sleeve down, put some silicone on the shaft first. Use an open end wrench over the installing sleeve to drive it down, it is not necessary to remove the flange on the bottom of the Speedy Sleeve after installation.

ckirk

Cadet
Kenny, Thank you for the feedback. I did some additional research and thought the sleeve would be a solution. Two quick questions:
1. The 7/8" ID sleeve is 0.313" long, witth the back to back seals, the repair area needs to be larger, I've read that to back to back sleeves need to be installed to cover both seal areas.
2. You mentioned using silicone to lubricate the shaft. Do you still use the permatex to lock the sleeve in place?
Thanks

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Hard to tell from pictures. But that doesn’t look bad enough to mess around with a sleeve. I would just try a new seal carrier.

kenny nunez

Captain
I agree with Muc, I have had good results with just replacing the seals. There are longer sleeves available, you need to go to a bearing supply house to get one. I also liked using silicone because it makes installing the sleeve easier, just my opinion. Locktite is what is recommended and will be better if the shaft is worn badly.

ckirk

Cadet
I replaced the seal prior to last season; at the end of the season I had the situation described in my original post, So I am pretty sure the shaft wear is the problem. I plan to install the sleeve, I'll update in a few months. Thanks again for your help and input, I really appreciate it.