Engine Alignment and rear engine mount bolt and washers

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well, at least I will know if I did it right! Hit me up somehow when you post it will you please achris ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
rickasbury

Here's the video on gimbal bearing alignment... Sorry it's a week delayed, blame Mercury for delaying the parts shipment. :D

If people are happy with it, and find it useful, I'll post it up in the stickies... Let me know.

Chris........

harringtondav

Commander
rickasbury
Sorry it's a week delayed, blame Mercury for delaying the parts shipment.

Nice tutorial Chris. I know you pulled your drive and found lube in the bellows. Is your gimbal brg. bad, or are changing it because it's conveniently staring you in the face? I've changed several good gimbal brgs. because I was over half way there fixing other issues. Bearing cost vs. time and effort coming back later?: Change it, and boat in peace.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Nice tutorial Chris.

Thanks... Means a lot...

I know you pulled your drive and found lube in the bellows. Is your gimbal brg. bad, or are changing it because it's conveniently staring you in the face? I've changed several good gimbal brgs. because I was over half way there fixing other issues. Bearing cost vs. time and effort coming back later?: Change it, and boat in peace.

No, the bearing in my boat is fine. Checked it out and it'll be staying in. :D

There appears to be quite a few people who don't understand the 'gimbal' part of 'gimbal bearing'. We're seeing quite a lot of questions around alignment problems 'after the gimbal bearing was replaced'.... Figured since I was buying a new drive top cover, I'd grab a new gimbal bearing at the same time....As I service quite a few boats, I doubt I'll be hanging on to this one for too long. :D Even if I do need it for my boat. To change it only requires the drive to be pulled... 5 minutes tops...

Cheers,

Chris......

Last edited:

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Chris, had no idea that it would move that much...so now I see how it went together. When I slid my out drive on...it was so easy I did not even feel it go on so I must be good! Please post this for others....!