7.4 gen v to gen vi

Maxamil

Recruit
Got problems first boat I ever own 92 scarab with 7.4 gen v need swap parts over to a gen vi . Pulled intake off gen vi has this tray over valley, intake from gen v has a little tray shroud thing on bottom can that be taken off and left out along with tray ,will intake work on gen vi ? Gen vi came out of 2000 3500 express can I swap intake, distributor, etc from gen v to gen vi just using block and headed from gen vi

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats. . .

Timing chain cover and a roller cam/lifters are the big differences between Gen V and Gen VI. Not sure there is any intake difference. Do you know if the engine from the 1992 Scarab is original? If so, it may be a Mark IV rather than a Gen V.

Serial #'s from the engines will help ID the 2 engines (Mercruisers, right?)

Maxamil

Recruit
I don’t think it’s original MerCruiser tag #F290559 the truck motor is 10237297 also intake has exhaust passageway but heads on gen vi have no hole for crossover exhaust thanks all help appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

what kind of problems? be very very specific

need to identify what you have in the boat now.

post the block casting number (just behind the starboard head on top of the flywheel housing embossment)

post the head casting number (under the valve cover)

if you have the 330hp gen V, you have the peanut port heads. the L29 heads from the van will be an improvemnt

however if you have rectangular ports on the old motor, the new motor you have has oval ports.

you will need to replace the head gaskets and the core plugs on your motor from the van with brass core plugs and marine head gaskets.

the other differences between the Gen V/VI is the water ports in the heads on the Gen V are specific to Gen V, where the VI can take any BBC head with exception of Gen VII

the marine accessory drive, starter, alternator, dizzy, etc from your existing motor will swap over. you will need the marine dipstick as well. until we know what you are starting with, the intake question remains.

Maxamil

Recruit
Ok on air filter cover #oD808217 . on engine that I pulled from boat MerCruiser #F290559 head number10114156 block needs serious machine work heads also bent valves ect. Truck eng #10237297 head #10141279 Vortec engine want to put intake and all boat stuff on vi block and heads is this possible??