And this is why we do our maintenance.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got 3 pre alphas all used on GM 120hp engines.
I've already been moving those seals around finding a clean spot on the yoke shafts. I have pressure and vacuum now but it's only a matter of time.
Can I use those Speedy Sleeves you mention ? I went to the link and got real confused (which is normal for me)

If these pre alpha yokes are the same as yours can you give me the sleeve part numbers? for the new seals too ?

I always knew there was a way to do this, just assumed the only way was to mill and custom seal

Great thread by the way !!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
BTW: Didn't mean to offend with the Merc name. Around here ( SE MI ) whenever I mention Mercruiser, everyone chants "Alpha Alpha Bravo !!!!! " Seems no one realized there was anything before the alphas, let alone EZ Shift, MC-1, R or MR and a TRS is only a myth.
I only try to cut off at the pass " are you sure ? " question.
All my drives are 259XXXX to 425XXXX Serial numbers. With 20-24 upper gears.

I'll be sure to watch my language in the future :eek:

Thanks for the part Number. There's a distributor nearby.

achris

Easiest way to deal with that is to post the actual model (MC1, R, Alpha One gen II, Bravo III, etc), the year and the complete serial number... Posting partial serial numbers is useless, nobody can do any parts or service information searching on partials....

Cheers,

Chris....

harringtondav

Commander
I had that puddle of lube in my new DS bellows, after a seal job last spring. And my suspicions are verified. "Assemble the oil seal into the oil seal carrier by pressing it with the lip of the seal facing away from the stepped side of the carrier" does not mean the pic below. If they would just say "Garter spring to the bearings" I probably wouldn't have screwed it up.

Also my yoke seal surface looks like it could use some help. I've used achris 's method at least once. I've got some time to ponder the sleeve or a new gear yoke. Thinking I'll take the plunge with a new yoke. I want to button this thing up and walk away for a long time.

IMG_20190119_160235932_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_155747382.jpg
    IMG_20190119_155747382.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 0

achris

A speedi-sleeve will last longer than a new yoke... (And cost significantly less)

Chris...

harringtondav

Commander
A speedi-sleeve will last longer than a new yoke... (And cost significantly less)

Chris...

I'm probably over thinking again. We ground seal diameters to +- .005" max. But the "No Lead" 16-32 AA surface finish was the gotta have. I took a quick look at the Speedi-Sleeve page and saw the sleeves are .011" thick, +.022" from nominal dia.

So I'm a little concerned about "stretching" the seal's limits. But I also know both seal and bearing mfgs overstate mating part tolerances to cover their as*ses. They push for perfect. I'll ponder more and research the true limits of seal conformance. Apparently the sleeves work, so that a reality check. ...besides, this is a fairly simple tear down if I have to return.

achris

I'm probably over thinking again....

I'd say so. I've been using those sleeves since the mid '90s, and never had a seal fail due to stretching. Especially one with a 2-1/4" diameter.

Chris...

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice Chris, glad it went well.....I dread such an issue, pretty much figure over my head but would be concerned the guy I might take it to would be doing the same as me- searching I boats on how to fix it!

harringtondav

Commander
pretty much figure over my head but would be concerned the guy I might take it to would be doing the same as me- searching I boats on how to fix it!

If you plan on being in boating for the long term, and if you are mechanically adept, I recommend buying/downloading your drive's manual and dive in. The special tool prices may push you back, but compared to $150/hr for getting bent over the barrel at the shop, it will pay off. And you'll have confidence in the repair. Sierra (sorry achris ) offers good tools at a reasonable cost. Buy them as you need them.

achris

Nice Chris, glad it went well.....I dread such an issue, pretty much figure over my head but would be concerned the guy I might take it to would be doing the same as me- searching I boats on how to fix it!

If you plan on being in boating for the long term, and if you are mechanically adept, I recommend buying/downloading your drive's manual and dive in. The special tool prices may push you back, but compared to $150/hr for getting bent over the barrel at the shop, it will pay off. And you'll have confidence in the repair. Sierra (sorry achris ) offers good tools at a reasonable cost. Buy them as you need them.

And learn to 'second source' parts. Things like bearings and most engine parts are not made by Mercury. Mercury buy them in... Get GM engine parts from GM suppliers, Summit, Auto zone, etc. Get bearings from your local friendly bearing shop.

if you need a manual, PM me...

Chris.

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks- pulling the motor and transom asy I think qualifies me as jumping in! I have about 300 hours now on our boat so hopefully I have some riding time before I get into such issues. The level of experienced help here is great. I am adept, but, the novice can easily over look something obviius to you experienced guys..

achris

Don't for second think us 'experienced' guys are immune to ****-ups... The only difference is we have (hopefully) more of them behind us than ahead.... :laugh::laugh::laugh: