Rear engine Mount Question 470

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Quick question you you all.

Im installing the 470 tomorrow and looking at the mount kit I have it has Mount Spacers - part B in the link

http://www.glmmarine.com/pdf/Instru-21045.pdf

The manual makes no mention of these but they are present in the mount kit.

I assume I just leave them out and dont use ?

Its a mercruiser 470 1978 vintage with MR1 out drive.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, do they go top of mount or can they go below the rubber mount ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
There go into the flywheel housing, then you press the mount in... And they need to go in in the correct orientation... As shown in the instructions...

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for confirming. Looks like I have a show stopper for installation of the motor tomorrow. Unless the old ones were left in. I'll ask the engineer who took out the old bushes if they came out as well.

What would be the consequence of installing below as opposed to above the bush ?

achris

If you don't put the spacers, in the mounts will be at a different height. You'd never get the engine aligned... Yes it's important they go in, and in the right place...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the spacers go in first flat side up , then you press the bushing in until seated. Being the new type you dont use the double wound washers, possibly just the this SS washer

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Something just hit me, could it be that they were none fitted before removing the old bushes. Can they be seen looking down on the mount from above ? Do they show in the hole ?

Either that or the old ones are still there which means I am go for install.

Engine was aligned just fine which suggests they were present.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Yes they do show if looking down at it a silver or gold ring is visaible

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Yes they do show if looking down at it a silver or gold ring is visaible

In that case either they were so old and blackened that we could not see them or they were not there in the first place.
If they were not present then how could the engine be aligned ?

there were no extra shims present to lift it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
fetch

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Damm near impossible to remove a rear mount if the spacer is not there

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Engineer who removed it said he had to burn out the rubber and chisel away the remaining sleeve to get it out.

Now that beggars the question of it not having been there in the first place.

achris

If they weren't there, you wouldn't have been able to align the engine...

Chris...

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
If they weren't there, you wouldn't have been able to align the engine...

Chris...

Thanks Chris but I have had the drive out numerous times over the years and I believe it to be aligned as removal and installation of the outdrive shaft was clean and easy.

Only thing I can think of is that the engineer didnt notice them and the old ones are in there but they are not showing when looking down at the hole. I'll double check tomorrow but I think I need to abort install.

achris

... I have had the drive out numerous times over the years and I believe it to be aligned as removal and installation of the outdrive shaft was clean and easy...

Unless you check it with the proper tool, there's no way to know just by the way the drive comes off and goes on.

When you eventually get the engine back in, you'll need to use a proper alignment bar to set it up. Relying on how the drive goes on is a surefire way to replacing a coupler in the near future...

Chris...

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Yes I have the alignment tool coming from a friend who is a marine engineer. A useful loan.

Im now pretty certain the spacers were not present as the engineer who removed the bushes is a good guy and would have seen them if present. He commented on how they would never be coming out in one piece after installation.

As much as I needed that motor in tomorrow I'm going to abort and get the bushes out and the spacers in.

do it right.

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Got down to the boat today and after all this - the spacers were present after all.

A happy ending for once.