alpha 1 gen 2 u-joint lube

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know how to tell when you pumped enough grease into the zerk fittings on the u-joint? does it ooze out somewhere when full? Will the old grease push out as you add new? This will be first time doing it.

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know how to tell when you pumped enough grease into the zerk fittings on the u-joint? does it ooze out somewhere when full? Will the old grease push out as you add new? This will be first time doing it.

Ayuh,.... You should see purged grease come outa each of the 4 bearin's of the u-joint,.....

If ya don't get purged grease outa 1 or more, try tappin' the housin' each way, 'n pump again,....

harringtondav

Commander
I recall reading it's not a good idea to pump so much grease that the seals lift from their grooves. I've done this and just massaged the extra grease out and the seals back into their cap grooves. Then I know they're full. Can't say that with "Permalube" U joints, gimbal brgs, etc. Old school has worked for me.

Walt T

Lieutenant
If you see water coming out of the U joints as you pump, then replace the U joints

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I usually give 3 pumps, move it around in each direction to help break up old grease and repeat until I have good grease purging out