4.3 Mercruiser stern drive won't crank or even click

alldodge

Staff member
I would guess your hearing the teeth on the starter being ground off. If the other starter gear was also ground away, then this would say your motor of drive is froze up.

What did it look like?

Jvanlue

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so the old starter teeth look fine. I pulled the new starter back off checked the teeth. They look good. Also looked while the starter was off and the flywheel teeth look fine. The new starter came with a little black rubber gasket that I didn't put on at first. I put it on and now when I turn the key, the motor cranks for two seconds and then you just hear a whirring/spinning sound. I'm guessing the teeth of the new starter are not lining up correct with the flywheel. Any other suggestions?

Jvanlue

Seaman Apprentice
Here is the teeth on the old starter

Attachments

• old starter 2.jpg
    old starter 2.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 0
  • old starter.jpg
    old starter.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
motor cranks for two seconds and then you just hear a whirring/spinning sound.

If it cranks and then stops while the starter continues to spin, then the motor tried to start or it just spun the gear out. Now if it does not crank, yet spins then the gear did not engage

Jvanlue

Seaman Apprentice
It cranks then stops while the starter continues to spin. Solution?

alldodge

Staff member
It cranks then stops while the starter continues to spin. Solution?

Maybe its trying to start, don't know, just reading what your posting

If a motor starts cranking and trys to start, the motor spins faster then the starter and the gear is kicked out. If the key stays in the crank position, the starter will just spin and the gear will whirl against the fly wheel