Fuel pump for 1993 4.3 v6 engine with 4BBL carburator

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Im building a marine engine on the base of 1993 4.3 v6 Chevy block. This block has a newer design, changed that year from mechanical to electric fuel pump. I looked for the online postings for these fuel pumps. I am reluctant to buy a used 1993 original pump and the new Mercruiser or Sierra pump for this application is sold only as a kit for $200-$300+. There are plenty aftermarket postings but im not sure which of these pumps are compatible with this engine. Any word of advice? And do I need a serial number of the block? Thx

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I used the Airtex E11003 as the OEM part when I went through the same thing. Nice part is, you can go in and use the mounting and fuel line parts direct off Mercruiser parts lists to install it. It turned out great that way and the stainless steel line is heavier and better fitted than what I was making out of 3/8th steel brake line. Nice part with the Airtex is prices have dropped, I find them in the $60 range today. You look at a '93 and up Mercruiser V6 parts diagrams on OEM dealer sites like iBoats and can find all the fittings, mounting bracket, rubber o-ring isolator mounts, etc. Feels good in the end to have an OEM fuel system.

fuel system.jpg

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Interesting.... appears to be a chinese copy of the airtex and all the associated mounting parts. In the end that's a little less than I paid all told, but I also bought a $30 stainless fuel line from Merc. Let us know how the quality looks. Price is about even.

I just built a Stihl MS361 chainsaw out of 100% after market parts from china. For a couple hundred I got a saw I could play porting games on and not risk $200 OEM piston/cylinder sets. Stuck on a big bore kit, all ported by me (first time I ever did that) and next going to swap in and fit the carburetor off a larger MS440 saw. Most of the parts are indistinguishable from the OEM Stihl parts of the 90's when the MS361 was last made.

Good luck on your install!

Rick

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Interesting.... appears to be a chinese copy of the airtex and all the associated mounting parts. In the end that's a little less than I paid all told, but I also bought a $30 stainless fuel line from Merc. Let us know how the quality looks. Price is about even.

Rick

Thank you, will let you know how this pmp works. As for the fuel line, I used a fuel line from NAPA, it cost me about $4-5 to buy the line with one nut on the flanged side, rented pipe bender from Autozone and used compression fitted nut for the other side. Altogether made a fuel line from the pump to carb for under $10. Will do the same with this engine too. Will send a pic of what I was buying and how it all fits.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thank you, will let you know how this pmp works. As for the fuel line, I used a fuel line from NAPA, it cost me about $4-5 to buy the line with one nut on the flanged side

I did the same thing first time around with the Q-Jet carb. I own the double flare tool and benders. When I switched to an Edelbrock (because the Q-jet sat on a adapter plate and didn't fit under my dog house) I bought the stainless OEM line. Either way is perfect. Make sure you have a angle in the middle of long runs so it doesn't vibrate and crack.

fuel line.jpg