Closed cooling goof

metsfan3197843

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i thought I had all the coolant out by removing the circulation pump inlet hose, but apparently I didn’t get it all out of the manifolds. When I pulled off the first elbow and riser (in preparation of pulling the motor) coolant got into the exhaust side of the manifold. Do I need to do anything besides drain the oil?

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
i thought I had all the coolant out by removing the circulation pump inlet hose, but apparently I didn’t get it all out of the manifolds. When I pulled off the first elbow and riser (in preparation of pulling the motor) coolant got into the exhaust side of the manifold. Do I need to do anything besides drain the oil?

thanks

Ayuh,..... Ya Shoulda pulled the 2 block drains, 'n the drain on each manifold,.....

Pullin' the big hose off the circulatin' water pump, drains the circulatin' water pump,.....

At this point, I'd roll the motor over on the starter, right after ya pull the spark plugs, to blow the coolant outa the cylinders, before it weeps past the rings, into the oil,.....

metsfan3197843

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I blew it. But engine is coming out tonight hopefully...

batteries are already pulled and stored and the drive is off. Rolling it over at this point isn’t an ideal option. As tight as my engine bay is it would take longer to pull the plugs than pull the motor 🙃

so I guess after I yard it out tonight what’s my best plan of action?

Bondo

Staff member
so I guess after I yard it out tonight what’s my best plan of action?

Donno, ya haven't said WHY yer pullin' the motor,.....

I'd do the above, just jumper a battery to the motor, blocked on a pallet,....

metsfan3197843

Petty Officer 2nd Class
10-4 will do thanks. Just pulling the motor because I want to clean it up and redo some hoses that are starting to chafe. Needs some paint touched up from a previous leak also. Really I just want to completely go through the engine bay and replace and reroute some BS wiring. Also don’t see how it’s possible to change the sea water pump with the engine in the bay. I’m sure it can be done but not by me!!!

Walt T

Lieutenant
Never met a sea water pump I couldn't change without pulling the motor. But then again, I can do them blindfolded which is pretty much how I do a lot of them.
By the way, I have yet to pull a motor to do a starter and I've done some tough ones. I especially remember hiring a kid that was tall and skinny with long arms, demonstrating how he had to hold the starter and bolt in one hand and get the bolt started. After that I took over. I've used him on a few winterizations too. We old bald fat guys don't fit in some of these stupid installations manufacturers do