Winterization Cost

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yep, Chris. I'll be fabricating a dolly/stand for my little Alpha when I pull it for this year's annual. ....

This isn't a 'stand', it's an aid for removal and installation... Here's a picture of the finished product... (The arms have been made long enough to accommodate a Bravo 3)...

Finished 4.jpg

Chris.......

harringtondav

Commander
achris I'll be conjuring up something similar based on a Tepenfield design using a furniture mover's 4 wheel dolly. I won't have the lift function. I'm hoping I can dial in the height close enough to tilt the drive up and roll the cart under. The trailer jack will help with the fine tuning...I hope.

achris

achris I'll be conjuring up something similar based on a Tepenfield design using a furniture mover's 4 wheel dolly. I won't have the lift function. I'm hoping I can dial in the height close enough to tilt the drive up and roll the cart under. The trailer jack will help with the fine tuning...I hope.

I need the lift function because I work on so many different boats. Been thinking about it for a while. The B3 last weekend pushed me over the edge...

Chris........

Walt T

Lieutenant
I apologize if I came across as arrogant. That was not my intention. I am simply a retired firefighter working part time at a marine dealership. Looking forward to taking the winter off.

harringtondav

Commander
Next year I'm looking forward to our new Black Max 4-stroke. No more gimble bearings, water draining, u-joints and the godawful bellows.

I hear you. I'm seriously pondering a 2footitus fix. But any new I/O I'd buy comes with the 4.5L Merc with it's PIA winterization, and unknown reliability. So I may be moving to an O/B. It will be more expensive (+-$6K) than a stern drive, plus new special tools and diagnostic instrument.

But walking away from annual and ongoing I/O maintenance and winterization will be an offsetting plus. I'm hoping some of my lower gear case tools may still work for prop shaft seal replacement. If not, or if I experience a rock hit calamity DIY special tools will continue to be the best choice over dealer shop rates and full list part costs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
So I may be moving to an O/B. It will be more expensive (+-$6K) than a stern drive, plus new special tools and diagnostic instrument.

That's not necessarily the case. Our new boat comes standard with a 200 HP 4.5 I/O. If you opt for the OB version the std is a 115 Merc and the list price is $3000 cheaper. If you upgrade to a 150 its still about $400 lower than the I/O.

I'm sure different models and boat sizes may show different comparisons.

harringtondav

Commander
I'm sure different models and boat sizes may show different comparisons.

I see what you mean. I "built" my boat at Rinker and got the delta above. Crownline, similar to your new Sea Ray. Regal worse than the Rinker O/B. I'm looking for a 19' BR. Not as many mfgrs. carry this size as a 21'+. So the pickin's are slimmer.

I may have to put a brand recommendation to the appropriate fourm. I think I know the answer though. Anyone's boat is generally a good boat. Hull and transom structure is key to me. They all look pretty from the outside.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I see what you mean. I "built" my boat at Rinker and got the delta above. Crownline, similar to your new Sea Ray. Regal worse than the Rinker O/B. I'm looking for a 19' BR. Not as many mfgrs. carry this size as a 21'+. So the pickin's are slimmer.

I may have to put a brand recommendation to the appropriate fourm. I think I know the answer though. Anyone's boat is generally a good boat. Hull and transom structure is key to me. They all look pretty from the outside.

I have all the brands you mentioned available to me. I am not tied to any particular dealer, so that's not an issue. We also wanted a 19' bow rider.

Our son bought a 25' Crownline this year. Nice boat, but their other smaller offerings didn't compute with us.

Your requirements are the same as ours. After 35 years with an I/O, and after having bought a Boston Whaler last year as my fishing boat, I was convinced that our next family boat was going to be an OB. No more I/O's for me.

After actually looking to upgrade for many years (being basically satisfied with our current family boat) when I looked at the SeaRay we made up our mind the same day.

Hull structure, sure, but also look at ergonomics, cockpit layout, comfort and aesthetics. I took Mother to look at the demo and on the way home she said "go buy it".

Obviously, I can't give a solid recommendation with no first hand experience, but I'm pretty confident because we are dealing with a Boat Dealer that has been in business since 1947.

Our sea trial and delivery is scheduled for this week. Hope it doesn't snow. If it does I'll wear my long johns and beanie, but it will go on anyway.....LOL.

harringtondav

Commander
Why not add the FWC option and make wintering really easy? Just ask any 470 owner how easy it is....

Chris...

I thought I had TLAs nailed. Apparently not. FWC = ? If it means closed cooling system, I'm in.

BTW, I'm in no burning rush to upgrade. If I wait long enough maybe the 4.5 will prove itself. If so, I'll drag my high falooting Structural Engineer son up here 100 mi to help w/the heavy lifting on the Alpha. It's past time he learned how to use a spanner. The whole boat, summer house operation will be 1/2 his eventually. Maybe I'll have my drive cart ready by Thanksgiving. Then watch and teach, and drink a tinny, smoke a stogie.

achris

FWC = fresh water cooling. Yes, closed cooling... It's an option I would call mandatory on any engine I buy in the future...

Walt T

Lieutenant
I personally am happy Merc finally is going with closed cooling. Obviously it is the aluminum in the new engines that has brought all this technology on line. I'm all for it

achris

I personally am happy Merc finally is going with closed cooling. Obviously it is the aluminum in the new engines that has brought all this technology on line. I'm all for it

????

Closed cooling has been available on all MerCruiser engines as an option since the 70s. It was standard on the 470s due to the aluminium block.

Despite the 4.5 being XK-360 alloy, closed cooling is still only an OPTION on Alpha drive packages, standard being raw water... It is only standard on Seacore Bravo drive packages...

Chris....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I got a drive jack from Stumpy's Fab works in the Midwest about 5 years ago. It works great!
as far as closed cooling, I agree 100% if I repower this boat which is likely in the next few years absolutely will have at least a half system. I think it really improves resale value in salt water regions.

Attachments

• photo290126.jpg
    photo290126.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 0
  • photo304283.jpg
    photo304283.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0

Walt T

Lieutenant
achris. Your attempt to make me look stupid is unprofessional since you are a moderator. Everyone knows the 470. I obviously was referring to Merc now putting out closed systems which you have promoted. I apologized. The new Mercs we are seeing are now all closed systems. I'm all for it. I'll leave this forum for now.

achris

achris. Your attempt to make me look stupid is unprofessional since you are a moderator. Everyone knows the 470. I obviously was referring to Merc now putting out closed systems which you have promoted. I apologized. The new Mercs we are seeing are now all closed systems. I'm all for it. I'll leave this forum for now.

Walt T It's nothing about making you look stupid. You are making obviously incorrect comments which I am correcting. If you aren't up with current information, then it may be best if you refrain from making comments based on outdated/bad data....

Your comment about closed cooling appeared to say that it was (for you) a new thing from Merc. I was merely pointing out that it wasn't new...

You may be seeing all new 4.5s with closed cooling, but that is not standard, it's been optioned on...

Chris......

Last edited: