Bell housing bore rubber gasket glue?

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is my first time performing sterndrive service.

I pulled the sterndrive to do the normal checks of u-joints, gimble, etc. Reading the manual, it says the rubber gasket (one in the bore infront of the drive bellows retaining ring) must be glued in the bell housing bore.

What type of glue should be used? The manual does not mention anything.

Attachments

• Page 2A-6.pdf
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's called Bellows Adhesive. Some folks use a substitute product but I tend to stick with the manual.

Mark

harringtondav

Commander
Bellows adhesive, or plain 'ol contact cement. I use contact cement. Clean up the bore with mineral spirits or acetone. Apply the cement to the bore, bellows retaining ring face, the seal's OD and mating face. Allow the cement to get tacky before placing the seal. Mush it outward against the bore to insure good contact.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
Apply the cement to the bore, bellows retaining ring face, the seal's OD and mating face.

Just to make sure, when you say OD, apply adhesive to the side that will mate with the outdrive? Do you apply adhesive to the OD as well?

harringtondav

Commander
Just to make sure, when you say OD, apply adhesive to the side that will mate with the outdrive? Do you apply adhesive to the OD as well?

No. Apply adhesive to the bore in the bell hsg, and to the circular outside diameter of the seal (OD). I also apply it to the rear face of the bellows retainer in the bell hsg, and to a mating face on the seal.

The seal is designed to be retained in the bell hsg. The nose of the outdrive will compress this seal.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I do it abit differently,......

I slather a big ole finger fulla Grease 'round the corner the o-rings lives in,....
Then position the o-ring in-place,.....

The tackiness of the grease holds it where it's gotta be pretty darn good,......
I've personally never had one get dislodged durin' mountin' the drive,....
Sometimes if the drive is ornery goin' on, I'm pulled it back out to Check, 'n it's always been exactly where it's Supposed to be,.......

Cleans up next time the drive is off a 'ell of alot easier too,.....

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
No. Apply adhesive to the bore in the bell hsg, and to the circular outside diameter of the seal (OD). I also apply it to the rear face of the bellows retainer in the bell hsg, and to a mating face on the seal.

The seal is designed to be retained in the bell hsg. The nose of the outdrive will compress this seal.

Thanks for that clarification. Wasn't sure if OD meant Out Drive or Outside Diameter. Too many acronyms. :lol:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... Too many acronyms. :lol:

I once complained to an 'engineer' that he was using too many TLAs... He asked what a TLA was... Three Letter Acronym... Q.E.D. :D

Chris.........

Walt T

Lieutenant
Hey Blondo, I always thought about using grease too but was too chicken to try it

Bondo

Staff member
Not sure... Maybe Bondo...James Bondo...

Ayuh,..... Bill Bondo,.... James Bondo is my cousin,.....

Maybe you've heard of 'im,..?? James Bondo, 007, licenced to kill,..??

I'm Bill Bondo, licenced to Thrill,.... :D

Good to see ya postin' again Walt,..... Long time, no see,.....