Cracked block, exhaust manifolds and heads Mercruiser 4.3 v6 1984

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
The boat I got for the drivetrain appeared to be a total bust. Both exhaust manifolds, block and at least one head had cracks which I discovered after taking apart the engine. I'm kinda pissed off and will talk with the seller about this crap. However, I wondered, is there anything that I could do with them, besides taking the whole lot to the scrap metal yard?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Weld them together as yard art.....use the block as a mooring anchor.....weigh down bodies in the swamp....make a coffee table from the block...

dlogvine

Thx Scott, I'm taking sculpture class in our community college, can weld one ugly and really heavy sculpture

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Use the pistons as ashtrays, start an artificial reef, make a letter box stand out of the crankshaft or camshaft.

dlogvine

Wow, you guys are really creative. Love ink of that myself? the dead bodies in the swamp idea the most. Why didn't i I think about that myself?

alldodge

Staff member
The rotating assembly parts are worth something to someone which needs them, wouldn't be that much but could get some out of it

dlogvine

That is what I thought. Pistons and rods, crankshaft, if it is in decent condition, rest of the stuff into scrap yard. Camshaft and lifters I could use for sculpture welding. Can save an oil pan as well, they are standard for all the pre vortec engines.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I got about half a core value ($150) for my cracked long block when I bought a new partial engine. Assume rebuilders use them for crank rods etc for their reman engines. Could have probably pieced it out for more but was happy to have it gone.

dlogvine

im going to take out crankshaft, pistons and rods and the block I will exchange for smaller bad engine parts like gears, head valves, chains etc. for my welded sculptures.