Possible engine swap - 4.3 for 470

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I have a possible boat restore project and one of the pieces is a swap from the 470 to a 4.3.
The boat/470 is a 1979, the 4.3 likely late 80's or early 90's.
The question is (other than is it even worth it) - can the 470 gimble/out drive be used with the 4.3 or is there improvements to be had with the newer out drive.

Thanks,
Dan

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get a post 1996 motor and drive and get the best of the motor and drive

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Your 470 is an MC1, the 4.3 is an Alpha One. The 4.3 will not sit on the old 470 inner transom plate... And I agree with Scott, get a vortec headed 4.3 and a gen II drive...

Chris....

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Guys,
This is what I was wondering. As for getting/using the later 4.3, that kind of falls in the "what becomes available" camp.
So far I've only seen up to about 1991 donor boats.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
then look harder. even boats from the early 2000's have damaged hulls and would make good donors. many mid-late 90's boats suffering from rot

after the hurricanes, there are thousands of recent model donor boats as well.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ya, I'll have to, though I'll have to substitute a tornado for a hurricane, as there aren't many hurricanes up here in MN. :)

then look harder. even boats from the early 2000's have damaged hulls and would make good donors. many mid-late 90's boats suffering from rot

after the hurricanes, there are thousands of recent model donor boats as well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Minnesota, Chris. Home of CheeseHeads and 10,000 lakes. LOL

harringtondav

Commander
Minnesota, Chris. Home of CheeseHeads and 10,000 lakes. LOL

...uh, down here in hillbilly IA I'm good with the 10,000 lakes. But I think WI owns that cheesehead thing. Also, the salvagers will crate and ship anywhere, including MN. :)

Negotiate in the helm throttle/shift control as a closer. And don't forget the transom assy. The engine & drive are worthless without it.

Also make sure this '79 boat has solid structure. Mushy stringers and transom probably won't pencil out. Unless you get a dirt cheap hull that you love, and are willing/able to do a full structure restore. That will be a project boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ooops! Lost track when counting all those lakes. :watermelon:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
MN may have 10,000 lakes, but the land of beer and cheese has 15,074 lakes

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Little ponds don't count.

"Wisconsin DNR spokesperson James **** said Wisconsin officially lists 15,074 lakes; however, Wisconsin also counts all lakes.

Data that Wisconsin provided shows the smallest named lake in the state is Moonshine Lake in Ashland County. It measures about two-tenths of an acre; or, put in perspective, about half the size of a regulation NHL hockey rink.

Minnesota, however, has a different definition for what counts as a lake, which still results in a higher number than our famous "10,000 Lakes."

"The difference is that the Minnesota DNR considers a lake to be 10 acres or more, of which we have 11,842," said Minnesota DNR spokesperson Julie Forster. "Wisconsin has no size limit. By their standard, Minnesota would have more than 20,000 lakes."

What is in the quad cities? That's a 10+ hour round trip drive. There can't possibly be more boats there than in the Twin Cities. Quad Cities 1/2 mil pop, Twin Cities 4+ mil pop.

"So drive south to the quad cities"

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You will find about 100x more boats at about 25% of the cost of boats listed in MN. For some reason MN boats are like UP boats and people think they are woth a small fortune. Yet if you look around you can find good deals. I found many looking around the quad cities

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott,

Yes, some folks here do think they have a prize. Though this time of the year prices drop.
I'll take a look at what's in the Quad cities, if there is something, I'm willing to drive.

You will find about 100x more boats at about 25% of the cost of boats listed in MN. For some reason MN boats are like UP boats and people think they are woth a small fortune. Yet if you look around you can find good deals. I found many looking around the quad cities

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Donno 'bout Mn, but there's lotsa rotten boats with decent drivelines available this time of year, 'round here,.....

Owners would rather unload 'em cheap, than store 'em,.....

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ya, we have our share of rotten boats, and lots listed on c-list, but not many/any newer than early 1990's.
BTW, the current MN/Cities c-list has >3,000 listing for boats.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott,

But none of those qualify, ie, '96 or newer, 4.3 and under 1500, preferably under 1000.

I have a list of donors I am watching, the newest a '91, but until I know more about the project, ie, get paper, I'm not spending anything on it. Without paper, it's scrap. The project is a '79 18' alum bow rider.

Dan

Scott Danforth

Staff member
without paper, you may have to cut it up for scrap. some scrap places want the title to make sure it isnt stolen.

$1000 budget may be a bit lite for a good driveline

Last edited: