Extension for the engine stand standoffs

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
The stand I'm using for my 4.3 v6 Mercruiser has some short standoffs, standard type. They do not let me install a flywheel to test the engine. I was looking for a longer set of standoff mounts but they are quite expensive and cost more than a used stand. I wondered if I can use right diameter steel pipe cutoffs of the right length with the longer mounting bolts to make rigged extensions? Anybody tried that? I am cautious about the torque that 400lbs engine with accessories and manifolds can create and bend or destroy the bolts. Thx

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... A stand is great for workin' on the motor,......

But to test run it, I put it on a pallet with blockin',.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never run an engine on an engine stand. the torque of the motor spinning will flip the stand and you end up with a motor on the ground.

dlogvine

I was not going to run the engine on the stand. I am trying to put a flywheel and a starter to see how it cranks when i will tighten the rocker arms and insert the spark plugs. I tried to do it by using the accessories bolt on the crankshaft but until i took out the spark plugs and losen up the rocker arms it was not cranking and i was afraid o strip he bolt. Hat was the testing i refered to. As for running the engine, i have a special stand for this. It is much lower and supports the engine by the engine mounts same placea as the engine in the boat. And it does not have the rollers.

dlogvine

All i am looking for is the extension for the standoff mounts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Have never installed a flywheel on a stand, always set it on blocks to install a flywheel or support the motor with an overhead hoist

kenny nunez

Captain
Those “Big Box” store styles scare me whenever I see some one with one. The stand I still use today is 45 years old and is over built by todays standards.

dlogvine

Have never installed a flywheel on a stand, always set it on blocks to install a flywheel or support the motor with an overhead hoist

I'm not trying to install the flywheel while on the stand, I want to put the engine WITH the flywhill installed on the stand but these 1 1/2 inch standoff arms are too shirt and in afraid wont let the flywheel spin. Or it will be very close. I have another stand with twice as long standoffs but it is being used by another engine.

Alumarine

Captain
I've used longer bolts and stacked a bunch of washers instead of pieces of cut pipe.
It's worked for me.