What oil filter ?

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello

I have a mercruiser 470 which I have been using a ph 5 or the cross over of Napa which I believe is Napa 1060 I have a newer boat with a 2002 mercruiser 5.7 which filter should I use ? Now if I look up the mercruiser part number 35 866340 q3 which this part number fits both engines so can I use a ph 5 or Napa 1060 or should I be using the mercruiser one but it looks a lot smaller thanks in advance

harringtondav

Commander
I just did a Google cross reference on your Merc OEM. There are many options. And the Merc OEM was strangely in line with the cost of the others. I've heard NAPA is essentially WIX, which has a good reputation. Remember Merc. doesn't make oil filters, they just relabel someone else's. BTW, my cross showed NAPA 7099, and WIX 57099. I think a larger filter provides more filtration, but may require a little more oil at change time.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The 470 runs the standard Chevy oil filter,.....

There's 100s, if not 1000s of part numbers, each a slightly different capacity,.....

I run the largest that'll easily fit the space, 'n I run Napa filters, which are rebadged Wix filters,.....