470 CCW or CW

Hope2bag

Recruit
Just purchased a project, 1989 Regal Sebring, with a 485 PO winterized and left the plugs out, sat for 3 years with the plugs out so the cylinder walls had lightly rusted compression was low. PO then went and bought a running take out motor with all wiring/ manifolds ect. after that he decided that wasn't good enough since he bought the boat new and its still in great shape, he wanted a freshly rebuilt motor. I rebuild seadoos and he had called me to build a few old skis he had when I seen this boat , needless to say i had to make a second trip after dropping skis off and a few bucks later, 2 motors and a complete boat we are on the way home.
I pulled old motor out and swapped all parts over to long block and reinstalled, for weeks I beat my head against the wall trying to get the new motor to run, when I realized that gas was being pushed out of the carb, and looking at firing orders my rotor was turning opposite of the standard firing order. out of curiosity I went and pulled the starter off the take out motor I had got with the deal and swapped it out. Originally standing at the bow looking at the engine the rotation was CW (Starter is labeled CCW) So as the swapped the starter and rigged up a solenoid, the boat fired right up. now the rotation is CW standing at the bow. Only thing I could think of was when he bought the rebuild it is opposite rotation of the old motor, so here is what I did next assuming the only difference is the cam,
Pulled cam out of old motor it reads CCW, pulled new motor back out of boat and pulled cam out of it, its also reads CCW.

Now im really lost. thank you for your help and support Eddie

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The 470 engine turns COUNTERCLOCKWISE when looking at THE FLYWHEEL from behind the engine. There were NO 470s built that turn in the opposite direction. The rotor in the distributor turns CLOCKWISE. The PO probably put in the wrong STARTER. You have a LEFT HAND engine and need a CLOCKWISE starter, read this http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech...20rotation.pdf

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In 1980 and 1981 the 470 was produced as an inboard engine and RH and LH variants were available.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Oops, thanks Chris, I did not know that. If he has a single I/o I am thinking that it should be a left hand engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Oops, thanks Chris, I did not know that. If he has a single I/o I am thinking that it should be a left hand engine.

If it's an I/O, it can ONLY be LH... RH was for MIE only...

Chris.....

Hope2bag

Recruit
Yes its an I/O , the boat is a 1989
original Motor SN # C520346
original Outdrive SN# 0C648555

new Motor SN# 6088279