Removing Old Mounts from Bellhousing - 470

Rake722

Chief Petty Officer
Evening folks,

I'm taking on this job next week and removing the mount bushes on my 1986 boat.
Any tips and tricks for getting the old bushes out ? I have read that they can be difficult.

I will be removing the bellhousing completely as need to put it on the new motor if that helps ?

TIA

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Burn the center out with a torch, using the correct size socket drive the remains down and out.
To install use threaded rod and the correct size sockets and draw the mount into place or make this
IMG-1385.jpg

harringtondav

Commander
This is for the aluminum sleeved Merc rear mounts, with the seating washer on top.

I can't remember which expert shared pics of his pusher tool. Maybe he will chime in. I used a 7" length of all thread 7/16" rod. Two 7/16" nuts, a pair of 7/16" thick washers, and three different size 1/2" drive sockets. One socket large enough to swallow the new mount. This will be your push-out receiver. A socket just large enough on it's OD to fit into the top of the flywheel hsg. top bore. This will be your removal pusher.

Assemble this contraption with the receiver under the mount, the pusher on top of it, and crank out the old mount. It's quite a pull, so grease on the threads and washers will help.

To reinstall, put the receiver socket on top, and use the third socket as a pusher from the bottom. This socket should be just smaller than the OD of the mount's aluminum sleeve so it doesn't get stuck in the bore. Most important is getting the mount started squarely with the bore. The top surface isn't square with the bore, and wants to **** the puller. If I remember, I think I shimmed under that top socked to keep it lined up.

Edit: The Doktur finished his post before I did. The torch is a good idea. Wish I thought of it earlier.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The part on the left is machined to locate dead center when placed on top , the right part is just undersized to just slip into the bottom when pulled all the way in but still large enough to catch the bottom of the new mount guiding it in