Water Pump Alignment Pins For Alpha One Gen 2

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found the part number for the alignment pins used for installing the water pump housing accurately (91-821571A1), but at $35+ I would like to know if they are even necessary. I've read that some folks make their own my cutting the head off of a correct size bolt. However, I have not read what size bolt they used. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.

harringtondav

Commander
I bought a pair of long 1/4" socket head cap screws and cut the heads off. I think I even cut screw driver slots in the ends, but haven't needed them. Finger tight is good enough. Once you get two of the clamp screws tightened, the pilots will thread out by finger.

I don't want to dig mine out right now. But be sure they're long enough to engage the water pump housing while it's sitting on the impeller. And be sure to turn the drive shaft clockwise when you're forcing down the housing.

I believe 1/4-20 is correct. But just take a clamp screw to your hardware store to verify.

Walt T

Lieutenant
I use 3M 90 sticky stuff to hold all the plate and gaskets in place then just install the impeller then housing. Studs work too though.

harringtondav

Commander
The pins/studs are handy for keeping everything lined up. The main reason I use them is to help get the pump housing over that stiff new impeller. The vanes are compressed off center, and put up more of a fight than I care to mess with.

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I believe 1/4-20 is correct. But just take a clamp screw to your hardware store to verify.

The issue is the boat is 200 miles away and I want to have all the tools needed when I get there. My impeller replacement kit is with the boat already so I can't even take the gasket plate to the hardware store to fit a bolt to the hole size.

Looking for confirmation of thread size and bolt thickness. Think I remember hearing somewhere that it is M6?

harringtondav

Commander
Looking for confirmation of thread size and bolt thickness. Think I remember hearing somewhere that it is M6?

You are correct. M6x16. I just checked my parts manual and measured my pilot screws. I use four m6x16 socket head cap screws, 3" long.