bellows replacement 4.3 merc

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
also what is the part/name of that green color aqua seal? you put on the bolts?

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
does anyone know if i need to drain the gear oil before i remove the lower unit to work on impeller?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
also what is the part/name of that green color aqua seal? you put on the bolts?

It's called Aqua-lube or Aqua-shield.... https://www.marinesan.com/14oz-Aqua-Shield-Grease-p/aq-14-1.htm

Chris watching your vid about water pump service on a1gen2. i have my outdrive loke you have in upright on a stand. going to replace my impeller , gaskets, etc. if i remove the top/bottom as you did, do i have to drain the gear oil or will oil come pouring out when i lift off the top? not sure if you drained yours prior to that vid. thanks

You need to drain it....

Chris.......
(You guys need to be aware that I'm about 12 timezone hours ahead of you, so when you post at 11 am, you need to give me time to wake up. ;))

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Exhaust bellows in standard kit is clamed on both sides and is glued to the engine side. I was stupid to buy the cheap Chinese kit and my mechanic told me to replace crappy exhaust bellows with the bellows that is fixed only on the engine side. It is easier to install and working same way.
I found it at the local marine store but you can get it online.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/370728731296

dlogvine

And definitely drain the gear lube prior to opening the outdrive, unless you really love cleaning about 2 quarts of gear lube. When refilling the outdrive, make sure you do it right, not from the top but use the gear lube pump connected to the bottom hole. If you have a lube monitor, keep pumping until oil starts coming into the monitor and then you can fill it up from the top the rest of the way.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
And definitely drain the gear lube prior to opening the outdrive, unless you really love cleaning about 2 quarts of gear lube. When refilling the outdrive, make sure you do it right, not from the top but use the gear lube pump connected to the bottom hole. If you have a lube monitor, keep pumping until oil starts coming into the monitor and then you can fill it up from the top the rest of the way.

10-4, i have the oil and pump. but pretty sure i dont have the gear lube monitor.. 1993 sea ray 180br 4.3L merc

dlogvine

10-4, i have the oil and pump. but pretty sure i dont have the gear lube monitor.. 1993 sea ray 180br 4.3L merc

i think they started putting gear lube monitor around 1994 with a newer version of Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive. It looks like this
Z