I’m an idiot. Put a quart of gear lube in my merc 3.0

Jns1981

Cadet
was changing oil after I winterized & put one quart of gear lube in...the final mix was 4 quarts engine oil to one quart gear lube.

I drained all that and added 4 fresh quarts of oil.

Should I drain it all again? I cannot believe I was dumb enough to do what I did. Just zoned out opening the silver/grey quarts from the shopping bag and emptying them into the engine.

I pumped out the oil with the hand pump via dipstick.

After friends were done laughing, they were split- some said it’s fine as is, others recommended adding marvel mystery oil and change it again in the spring.

Looking for advice! Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you didn't run the engine, you'll be fine...

Chris....

Jns1981

Cadet
Didn’t run it. It was after fogging and pouring anti freeze.

Its fine for the winter as is?

Jns1981

Cadet
Ahh nice. Ok. I was reading elsewhere it could mess up bearings or gum up the engine.

I was already mad for losing the nut from the water intake grates on the lower unit. Lost it in the grass after clearing out barnacles from the intake and paid $15 for a replacement. Already felt like a fool & then I doubled down with the gear lube mistake! Haha! Nice to see I’m entertaining people here too!

Glad to hear I can leave it as-is with 4 quarts of fresh oil in there. From now on I’m adding colored tape to the gear lube bottle and keeping it in separate bags!

Thanks!

matt167

Captain
Could have ran it without worry.. When you look at viscosity charts of gear lube vs oil, they are not far off. Has the wrong additive pack but 4:1 ratio would not hurt a thing.

harringtondav

Commander
I made a winterizing mistake that tops yours by a mile. But I keep it buried very, very deep. No engine damage, but a big bruise on my ego.

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could have ran it without worry.. When you look at viscosity charts of gear lube vs oil, they are not far off. Has the wrong additive pack but 4:1 ratio would not hurt a thing.

Yep, there's nothing special about the oils other than viscosity and the additive package. Mixing them like that isn’t likely to change the viscosity that much, and a small amount of the incorrect additives aren’t likely to hurt anything. Just look at how many people add snake oil to their engines every day, and somehow they survive.

For the sake of winterizing, is not going to hurt a thing. All you are doing is coating the engine surfaces to prevent rust. Change in the spring if it makes you feel better, but I don’t think your engine will care unless you are running it in cold weather.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As he's already changed it, without running the engine. None of the gear oil has gotten into the oil pump, filter or galleries, so the ratio is going to be closer to 30 or 40 to 1.... Absolutely nothing to worry about...

Chris..........

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
You are fine. Gotta love the backyard mechanics who always suggest sea foam or marvel mystery oil to 'fix' problems.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
About the only thing I'd worry about is foaming from incompatible oils. When you wake it back up next spring, run it on the hose for a couple minutes, shut it down, and then check the dipstick. If you see a frothy mix or lots of air bubbles, might want to change once more for piece of mind.

Could also just test it. Put some gear oil in a glass jar, dump it out, (simulating what you did, there will still be enough left sticking to the sides) and then put some motor oil in. Shake like crazy and see if it foams.

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Your mix now has so little of gearlube left that it wont make any effect on the engine running. Even the original mix 4:! would not increase viscosity so much as to clog or damage the engine. Especially if you use it only for winterizing and will change it in spring.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The gear lube's additive package contains EP additives, these will actually aid in protecting the cam lobes of non-roller bumpsticks, since todays oils are sadly lacking these additives. So, after draining the crackcase contents and refilling with fresh oils, the trace amounts of the gearlube shouldn't matter. Of course you could put a small amount of gear oil and engine oil in a beaker, mix them and apply some heat and see if there is any chemical reaction, Of course, this wouldn't apply pressure and/or shearing to the mix