How to rebuild 7.4 mpi

Jersey Guy

Seaman
If someone can explain (in non expert terms) what would be required to re build a 2000 7.4 MPI?

Also, if possible, list each task in order of importance and cost estimate.

If this is asking too much, just DR.

Thank you

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

step by step.

pull drive
pull motor
load motor on truck
take motor to your local machine shop
3 months later, pick up motor
install motor
align motor
install drive
go boating.

the fact that you asked, means you know nothing about engine building.

Jersey Guy

Seaman
Well that was a very informative response and I thank you for “your time “.

Now I will ask Google.

tpenfield

Staff member
I've been asking myself that very question . . .

You can Google some engine rebuild information. Nothing really special about the 7.4 MPI, other than you may want to have the injectors cleaned and tested. I assume that you are asking for a DIY, with some machine shop work?

Typically you will do a cylinder head rebuild, which would be valve and valve seat grinding. Maybe some valve lifters and springs.

As far as the bottom end of the engine, a lot depends on how much wear is found when you open it up. I would plan on boring the cylinders 0.030" and grinding the crankshaft down 0.010". (Machine shop)

There are rebuild 'kits' that you can get for around $700-800. The machine shop work might run $1,000, depending on how much work is done.

If you had a machine shop do soup-to-nuts, I would expect about $4,000 for the rebuild. DIY with some machine shop work, about $1800 . . .

You can buy a new long block for around $5700, I believe.

alldodge

Staff member
There is a lot involved in the rebuild and every step is important. Disassembly is easy enough, but putting it back together takes paying close attention to how it goes together and correct torque specs.

Assuming your doing a standard rebuild and not try for more power then;

Engine block
Gets bored .030 over and best to use torque plate when doing.
Line bored for straightness
Deck is checked flatness
All threaded holes are chased with taps

Head
Checked for flatness
Springs replaced
Valves ground
Valve seats replaced
Rocker studs inspected
Full valve job
Threads chased with taps

Cam and Crank
Crankshaft will get reground to use .010 oversize bearings (mains and rods)
Cam is checked and determined if cam can be reused, or need a replacement

Misc
New oil pump
New pistons
Connecting rods are fitting to pistons
Fuel injectors are cleaned and flow tested to 6000 rpm
New lifters
Maybe new rockers if any need replacing (normally not needed)
Complete gasket set
Clean intake and plenum
Plugs, wires, cap rotor, sensors, core plugs, other stuff not remembering right now

Cost
Wish I could give you a break down, but this would be hard to do. From disassembly to reassembly of the entire motor is all one task and all parts are important. Doing it your self can be maybe 1200 to 1500. Having another do it like a local machine shop, around 5000 to 6000

If any of the major components can not be reused, then cost goes up for that part

Once the motor block and heads are together, then corners can be cut to save a few

If we knew what your looking at we might be able to come up with a better idea

Jersey Guy

Seaman
I was just wondering what would be involved and now I know. As my wife would/will say, isn’t it easier to just buy a new boat?😀

Thank you for your response. I think I’ll leave thisto the professionals and do what I do best.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Jersey, not to be a butthead, but there entire books devoted to rebuilding a single motor and all the steps and specs are listed.

Since boatinfo.no seems to be working, find your motor and take a look at what's involved. We have no idea what experience or needed tools you have, so Scott's way may be best. If you are experienced, have the tools and want to tackle it - We'll help as much as possible.

But before deciding on rebuilding - Does it need to be rebuilt or it's running poorly and needs a good tune-up with some parts replaced? This is a heck of a lot cheaper than removing the motor and doing a full rebuild. If it only needs an injector, a rebuild is overkill and needlessly expensive, even doing the work yourself.

Maclin

Admiral
I have assembled some, but I never have done it all, and certainly not the first one or two I had done. Where I lived when I did most of them, the machine shop was very good but a little out of the way. Found what I hoped was a good block, took crank and rods then pistons out and got it to the shop. I let them poke out the cam bearings, then they measured and checked basic block integrity. Told me what bore they could do, which gave me the pistons I needed, yada yada yada. So, you will need to cultivate a relationship with a good automotive machine shop. I shop out the block boring/honing, cam bearing align bore, mains, etc. And the head refurb. Assembly is kind of fun, still some very specific steps to take with piston rings install and orientation, each engine manufacturer has their own quirks. I did the crank and rods/pistons, oil sump, baffle plate, pan, timing gears, front coverr, install heads and assemble the valve train. valve covers, oil pump, distributor, accessories, mounts, tranny install and hookup. That was a typical first day (j/k). All of that took about a month with machine shop, head shop and parts vendor lead times.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
See Chris at Ryan Machine, Rt 79 Matawan Did one for me, very good work.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
As I stated. Asking for step by step means you do not have the experience. Its not a bad thing, however its not something you google. Its something you learn, starting with autos class in high school. You learn by grabbing the tools and doing.

Regarding your wife and the comment on a new boat.... Look up boat prices.... That ready to go reman'd motor is cheap in comparison

my last build was documented on here, and i was able to build a healthy 468 for under $3k for the long block, however I did most of the work myself.

My prior BBC build ran me about $6k, however that was a 488 built for drag racing. It didnt idle below 1200, it didnt like anything except WOT, however it went thru the traps at 10.09

My last V6 build was about $10k, however i was getting about 1.4hp per cubic inch (naturally aspirated)

If you want to build a motor, start with doing lots of reasearch on Grumpys Garage page. Take a class or two.

Cost to build is dependant on what you are starting with along with your goals. Ted and AD both mentioned this

Maclin

Admiral
This...
Regarding your wife and the comment on a new boat.... Look up boat prices.... That ready to go reman'd motor is cheap in comparison...

Plus, with this method you skip right on past the temptation to go full on custom stainless thru hull exhaust... :laugh:

Walt T

Lieutenant
I buy re manufactured engines from a builder I trust. If I have a warranty issue they have always taken care of it. I can have and engine out, swapped over to new long block and back in the boat pretty quickly. They deliver to the shop.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
This...

Plus, with this method you skip right on past the temptation to go full on custom stainless thru hull exhaust... :laugh:

Been there....done that....but it is really shiney