Bravo 3 removal - axle to couple rust stuck

Mauro Brisola

Seaman Apprentice
Trying to remove a Bravo 3 outdrive. 2013 MAG 350.

Outdrive is just half inch separated. Will not come out because axle is rust and stuck in the engine coupler.

Despite trying to pull outdrive with a tractor and hammering the axle it is still bonded.

Any ideas to remove it? Beyond cutting axle with a saw...

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
trying to pull outdrive with a tractor and hammering the axle

With a tractor, that's one I haven't heard of
Connect the trim cylinders and place wood between top of drive and gimbal ring and raise drive. Then place wood between bottom of drive an gimbal ring and lower drive

Watch the shift cable so it can be disconnected as it comes out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am guessing the drive has not been pulled yearly for inspections

as AD stated, use the rams and wood shims.

Mauro Brisola

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks a lot. I worked in the first try just by raising drive with the wood in the top. Saved my day.

Walt T

Lieutenant
I had a Bravo 3 we could not get off with the wood and hydraulics, and heat. Finally fabricated a steel plate with holes drilled to fit the top cap bolt holes attached a chain to it and finally got it off using a forklift to pull the chain. The problem was severe corrosion between the six bolts holding the drive on and the drive itself. Used heat on the bolt areas, very carefully. Was a saltwater boat before current owner bought it and drive hadn't been pulled in years. Cost the owner a bundle.

harringtondav

Commander
Good reading. My well aligned, well coupler greased Alpha II has always been stubborn to break away. No more.