timing on 470 180 hp

I have a 470 180 hp when I got it motor was rebuilt try to do compression test found timing was off . I lined up timing marks and put back together and put back in boat had sum carb problems got new carb still runs rough. checked timing with light aand found my window for timing mark is 2 inch from scale on - side . chokes out when you get to - 8* . wondering if chain is out.?????

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
prior to setting timing, you need to service the points

as the points wear, the point gap and dwell along with the timing changes

so start with filing, gaping, verifying dwell on the points, then set timing to the 8BTDC at idle.

sorry Scott, guess I didn't say points have been swapped out with electronic ING. It seems it runs better 1 inch to the negative side of 8* bftdc

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have to be that far off, you have something wrong.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Check that the balancer rubber hasn't slipped. Make sure the TDC marks are actually TDC.

Chris.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The 470 rotor is solid steel and keyed to the crank so it can’t slip. Yeah, something is wrong. It may be that the chain is off by a link. There is a tensioner on the timing chain, was it there and correctly tensioned?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The 470 rotor is solid steel and keyed to the crank so it can’t slip.

:facepalm: Too long since I worked on one of those... Sorry... Should keep my mouth shout, ah....

Chris.......

EDIT: But I have seen keys sheared and rotors moved out of position. ;) So, still worth checking. :D