Quick Silver throttle control

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been meaning to reach out to you all to see if anyone knows or has had any experience with throttle controls. I don;t know if these are specific to the model boat, but i have a quick silver throttle control, on a 93 sea ray BR. merc 4.3L. I do NOT have the safety lanyard, just the throttle control with up/down trim and a button for trailer mode and the button in middle for neutral.

So I am trying to narrow down my search for my intermittent shut off issue. I've been pondering if there is some type of internal switch in the throttle control, that might be going bad( shorting ) while in use on the lake. I attached a photo of what mine is most similar to..thanks

Attachments

• photo303152.jpg
    photo303152.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Nope nothing in there. There is a neutral safety switch, but that only prevents the starter from turning when in gear, has nothing to do with the ignition.

Georgebarnes

Recruit
Need a little more info. What’s it doing? What rpm? What throttle position ( 1/2, 3/4, wide open throttle) I have a 96 maxum with a quick silver controlling a Mercruiser 3.0 lx that was cutting out bad after 1/2 throttle.

Georgebarnes

Recruit
Did you get your cutting out problem resolved? Im sure you have read all the various things that can cause a cut out ( anti siphon, water in fuel, plugs,wires etc. etc.) it sounds silly but try this. Unplug your tachometer wires from the back. That’s what mine was ( after I replaced everything in my fuel and spark systems of course )

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
No I didnt. I found a tear in my drive bellow, so I am working on that over winter. But it happens at all throttle positions and varying rpms. Checked the anti siphon, fuel, ign sensor, ign coil, spark plugs arent great and will be replacing, but shouldnt cause what seems like an electrical cutoff. I have not disconnected the tach yet...was going to maybe try that from the ign coil side...but the tach works so why would I disconnect it?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The tach attaches to the - side of the coil and could possibly short to ground. If that were to happen it would effectively be the same as your points never opening and you would not generate a spark from the coil. If it is intermittent you might never see it on the tach. The quickest way to test it is to remove the tach wire and see if that helps.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
10-4, that is an easy step to test. thanks

Walt T

Lieutenant
I agree, tach wire free and easy check. Maybe next season try non ethanol fuel also just in case its vapor locking. Pure-gas.org shows where there are stations that sell it near you. I personally think it may be a carburetor issue maybe run some Seafoam through the fuel system next spring.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
yeah so boat the boat with a full tank(not sure if eth free). it ran great...ran it down about half tank. next time we went out i topped it off with non eth free gas...problems started(coincidence, not sure).
I have since ran it more and had sea foam in it. since i need to do bellow, i just put her down for winter...topped it off for storage with 90 octane eth free and a can of sea foam. see what spring brings, will clean main grounds and check tach.