1990 vs 1992 4.3 block swap

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Turns out my impeller was fried. not sure how that happened since I always put the muffs on. The plastic tube melted too and I had a heck of a time to get the impeller off the shaft since the housing had scratched the shaft. Oh well, another impeller this year. The second now
Whose impellers are you using ? Muffs can sometime be tough to get in a spot where it flows fully

Chris51280

Ensign
Whose impellers are you using ? Muffs can sometime be tough to get in a spot where it flows fully
sierra. Thats what I think. they may have leaked too much the day before when i tested it before taking the boat out on the water. Now I also have to check my flappers and the upper receiver housing. The Gen 1 impeller just sucks.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
sierra. Thats what I think. they may have leaked too much the day before when i tested it before taking the boat out on the water. Now I also have to check my flappers and the upper receiver housing. The Gen 1 impeller just sucks.
Try a OEM merc impeller and housing. Its been a few years since I had a gen 1 but I found they last twice as long as the sierra ones. Not a huge data set but on both the gen one and gen two drives the OEM impellers last a very long time. Definitely the gen 2 design is better but I think you will find its worth the cost for OEM impellers and parts

Chris51280

Ensign
Try a OEM merc impeller and housing. Its been a few years since I had a gen 1 but I found they last twice as long as the sierra ones. Not a huge data set but on both the gen one and gen two drives the OEM impellers last a very long time. Definitely the gen 2 design is better but I think you will find its worth the cost for OEM impellers and parts
thanks scott

Chris51280

Ensign
Turns out my flappers are pretty cooked too. they water housing on top looks still ok. I think I have to make sure my muffs are good seated next time. Never happened before.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Turns out my flappers are pretty cooked too. they water housing on top looks still ok. I think I have to make sure my muffs are good seated next time. Never happened before.
did you check the water pocket cover in your outdrive?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Try the round Merc/Quicksilver muffs with the metal rod clamp; these are made of softer rubber than the generic muffs and conform to the shape of the lower unit better.

Chris51280

Ensign
did you check the water pocket cover in your outdrive?
yes, small bubbles but it is still intact. rubber seals are good.
I will be installing water temp switch and oil pressure switch from now on with a buzzer. I didn't catch the overheat fast enough and my boat was not equipped with this before.
Will look into the other style muffs