Gimble bearing install

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Z

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the first pic is a tool I made for early MC1 drives when using the new style bearing . The older housings did not have a zerk for grease. The bearing was held in place with brass shim stock. The new bearing could replace it but had no provision for greasing it . You removed it from the ring, inserted it in the tool, greased it and reinserted it in the housing thru the 2 slots

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys.

I got the driver tool, it has the bolt through the middle of it. how do I use it correctly? The Bar should be here Tomm for it.

How to use it and what is the bolt for? I thought it would just be used like a flat spacer that you would hit around edges until bearing went in place. My old bearing is out.

I also bought a gimble bearing grease seal tool. I’m thinking I won’t need this?

Attachments

• photo303183.jpg
    photo303183.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 0

whiskeyRichard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The bolt in the driver tool will go through a hole that you will drill into the alignment bar. That will hold the tool on the bar so you can drive the bearing in.

You will hit the end of the bar with a mallet and the driver tool puts even pressure around the gimbal bearing to drive it into place.

Drill the hole a little larger than the bolt...and get the hole straight through the bar if you can.

You and I are kind of on the same path with these repairs/maintenance. It is mostly new to me as well and I am learning a lot on here.

Good luck.

wR

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The idea behind the user drilling the hole to bolt the driver on, is you can set the depth to the tool so the alignment bar end is inside the coupler and seats the bearing before hitting the coupler with the shoulder on the alignment bar. If you set it with the driver part too far in, you can drive the end of the bar into the side of the coupler possibly damaging it while you pound with a hammer. If you set with the driver too far out then the shoulder on the bar will hit the coupler before the gimbal bearing is all the way in.

That's the theory anyway. Problem is, most people get their bar and drill it after removing the gimbal bearing. Makes it tough to know right where to drill the hole.

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I swear, I don't get this bearing alignment vs. the engine alignment with bearing. They both sound like the same thing. I'm in the process of aligning my motor- had already rebuilt the transom asy with new bellows and bearing. I have that alignment tool and making the slow, painful slow adjustment. So, if I have mot aligned the bearing properly then I'll never get the motor aligned?

Blueeagle

Cadet
hey guys, was reading the thread and there was a lot of useful info on here. Quick question about the new gimbal bearings that may or not be maintenance free (sealed). Does anyone know if the new sealed gimbal bearings also may have a hole to allow grease to travel through and out to accommodate for gimbal housing with zerk fitting?This is a pic of a new gimbal bearing with the hole and not sure if this is a sealed unit.

Attachments

• 20181119_121457_resized.jpg
    20181119_121457_resized.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181119_121450_resized.jpg
    20181119_121450_resized.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181119_121500_resized.jpg
    20181119_121500_resized.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Blueeagle asking your bearing questions in someone else's topic is considered a hijack, please refrain

achris

More fish than mountain goat
hey guys, was reading the thread and there was a lot of useful info on here. Quick question about the new gimbal bearings that may or not be maintenance free (sealed). Does anyone know if the new sealed gimbal bearings also may have a hole to allow grease to travel through and out to accommodate for gimbal housing with zerk fitting?This is a pic of a new gimbal bearing with the hole and not sure if this is a sealed unit.

Apart from the hijack, look at the video I did on gimbal bearings. It'll answer all your questions.

Chris...
(Link to my videos at the bottom of this post)