Mercruiser 8.2 - 2 dipsticks

ktchristie

Recruit
I recently did an oil change on my 1998 Mercruiser 8.2's and noticed the starboard engine has 2 dipsticks, one aft and one forward. The Port engine however only has one dipstick aft. Now this may not seem a concern but I warmed the oil and used a pump to draw it out. On the starboard when I used the forward oil stick (which is lower on the engine) I was able to draw out another 2.5 quarts. I don't feel I was able to draw all the oil out of the port engine.

Has anyone seen this and what did you do to remediate? :facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
Have not seen a motor with 2 dip sticks, but would say the forward one on starboard must go lower in the pan. My 8.2 is on the starboard side forward and goes in about mid way into the pan.

Do both dip sticks measure the same level when oil has been added?

As for the other motor, need to find out if your getting about 7 quarts, won't get all but should be at least close. Wonder if your other motor was changed at some point, look for a serial number plate above the starter

ktchristie

Recruit
Finally had some time to look at this. There is supposed to be two dipsticks. I am getting ready to change the oil again for this summer so looked up the parts on Mercury's parts page for my serial numbers. Looks like the 2nd stick is either missing or buried somewhere I cannot see. I'll find it or add it though.

Attachments

• photo308187.png
    photo308187.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Not the way I see it. One is for the standard stern drive and the other is an option pan drain used on some Vee drives and/or inboards. A motor would not have both

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've seen some with two tubes, one was capped tough, but I think it was a twin Volvo...