1993 mercruizer 4.3lx no power after half throttle

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
If someone has been in there and you found errors, it is probably best to rebuild the whole thing, including jets. Or, get what Chris mentioned. Bottom line is you need a baseline with the carb. Damaged jets will not get you that. Carbs are one of those items that HAS to be done right or redone. There is no good enough.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'm looking at the eldenbrock 1409 do I need anything for it to work

An engine. ;)

Should just bolt straight on. Do some searching and you'll find plenty of posts on the right jetting for your engine...

Greenbean79

Cadet
Got my edelbrock 1409 installed adjusted the air/fuel on muffs. Runs great so I took it to the lake yesterday for a test it runs better smooth as can be but still laying down at half throttle secondarys are opening but the weighted air valve above them is not opening all the way I can place my hand slightly over primary's (by choke plate) and motor will increase in power and rpm. Or operate air valves manually runs great achieve wot planes out no problem. So I'm hoping you guys can help me alittle more I think im close I just dont know what else to do. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
compression #1 130lb #3 115lb #5 130lb #2 130lb #4 125lb #6 125lb.

Something else I should have mentioned it backfires through the carb when you try to really get in the throttle like going from 1000 to 4000 rpms it only does it around 1k-2500rpm

secondarys are opening but the weighted air valve above them is not opening all the way I can place my hand slightly over primary's (by choke plate) and motor will increase in power and rpm. Or operate air valves manually runs great achieve wot planes out no problem.

If compression stays this low when all warmed up then the motor is not making full power

Backfiring and choking the motor to get more fuel is probably a weal fuel pump. If fuel pump is putting out correct pressure (3-7 psi) then float height, low compression or a blockage in the exhaust.

If exhaust, check that flappers have not broken off and are in the Y pipe

Rick Stephens

Admiral
What did you end up with on calibration kit or changes? The '93 you have is not Vortec, right? So the Edelbrock Calibration kit for the 4.3L should be a decent starting point.

Did you change out the needle springs? Sounds to me like you should have a little stronger spring to richen up when dropping vacuum during acceleration, and after that, maybe a little richer needle.

Also, when calibrating, if you don't use a fuel air mixture test tool, then you need to do test runs at fixed throttle settings and pull plugs to see if you are rich or lean. A lean condition while putting down power can burn pistons or melt valves. I ran at wide open primary only for my first test runs. Things you do there, set the primary jet size first, and then needles to fine tune within the primary's power range. Last you adjust acceleration hesitations with needle springs and possibly needles themselves. Then I do WOT runs and set the secondary jets. My engine is different only in that I have Vortec heads. But that is a huge difference in air fuel flows. So you can't go by what I ended up with in jets, needles and springs.

Greenbean79

Cadet
I put the natural color springs in didnt change the rods it didnt change anything plugs are chocolate color but I put a new thermostat in and got some water on the intake and noticed water moving around the intake seal so I am loosing vacuum there I belive

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
rent a borescope camera from autozone and pop it down the exhaust, see if the flappers are stuck. Next try rig up a fuel inlet into a jerry can as a short test - your tank pickup might be blocked. You can remove the line before carb and crank it over for a few seconds, if u fill at least an inch in a gatorade bottle theres enough flow.. if u have a little bit in the bottle theres an issue. You compression is totally fine-

Check your spark advance as well. Maybe u made a mistake on the tune up, did u pull the plug wires? TRIPLE check them with the firing order - the backfiring and loss of power indicates you might have swapped a plug lead. Mark #1 lead @ the dizzy with orange or black elec tape.. it helps keep track. Make sure one of the plug boots didnt pull off the terminal on the plug - this is a VERY common issue. The timing is usually stamped on the intake and the rotor rotates clockwise - firing order shd be 1-6-5-4-3-2 std rotation.

Greenbean79

Cadet
After throwing parts at it for a month I finally found the problem and learned alot on the way. I installed new plugs,wires,cap&button,ignition sensor, fuel lines,filter,anti siphon valve, new edelbrock 1409 carb and calibration kit, thermostat everything I could think of. And it ended up being blown intake gasket so I went ahead and installed the edelbrock 2111 aluminum intake and new gaskets. Now she runs like a dream. Thanks guys for all your advice

alldodge

Staff member
Glad your fixed but have not heard of an intake gasket just blowing. A bad vacuum leak would not be idling to easy