I need a refurbished block for my 2000 Mercruiser...my current block is an '87???

Scott06

Vice Admiral
What dipstick and tube are you using ? I think the tube bolts to one of the accessory brackets , hence why it won't fit on the engine... maybe the power steering or idler bracket
https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-aba1...ale.jpg__11304.1413388622.jpg?c=2?imbypass=on

Hopefully link works its a to a mercruiser reman 4.3 alpha crate motor, view on that side of ngine shows dipstick bolting to accessory brackets , google it if link is bunk...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
A little duct tape would serve :^) When I worked a skydiving plane we called it 'hundred mph tape'. It was all over our planes. It will make your boat go faster or your plane go slower.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oil pickups are matched to the oil pan. Make sure the pickup sits in the bottom of the pan sump.

Porschesolutions

Seaman Apprentice
I did, had to mount a new melling screen to a new melling pump, then had to take care in mounting the oil pan, but have no dipstick to work for this configuration :/

Bondo

Staff member
  • Dipstick has no place to secure to block
  • Curves to the dipstick will not allow installation into the sump of the oil pan
  • “stop” on the dipstick tube is about 2-3” away from the block as the tube bottoms out
  • Slight bending of the tube “may” allow it to reach the sump, but still no way to secure to block AND the wet manifolds will be in the way.
Thoughts? :/

Ayuh,...... Have ya looked into later model dipsticks,..??

Worst case scenario, ya fab 1 up usin' 3/8" steel brake line, 'n a chunk of ole speedo cable,......

Porschesolutions

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys. Motor is about ready to drop in- took a break during the Holidays for, well, the Holidays.

I'm suing the guy who sold me the boat with the incompatible motor- and Judge Judy's producers have contacted me about being on their show for my cast to be arbitrated. I've selected cuts from this thread as my evidence, hope nobody minds...Rick, etc.

Also, I'll get a statement from the machinest that I used to have my heads re-furbished, as once I went back & told him about the block incompatibility he immediately knew the motor would self-destroy quickly.

Thoughts?? Mark

Porschesolutions

Seaman Apprentice
Ok new motor is in, runs like a champ with new fuel lines, flushed tank, cleaned jets, break-in oil...a few hurdles, including an oil leak at the 7 o-clock position, so I removed the timing cover an pookied that area and reinstalled last night. Tonight I installed the WPnwith fresh gaskets with the Marine Permatex on both sides and immediately fired it up to find the pump leaking badly out one side, and it appears through a bolt hole.

Dumb question amnesty- should I have let that dry over night in lieu of 20 minutes? It’s either that or the WP has bottomed out in a timing cover bolt and won’t seal.

Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
I would have installed the WP with just the dry gasket only.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I would agree, no way that the water pump leaks because you gooped it in and started up wet. Old pump? At least it's a few minute job to pop it back off and inspect why it leaks.

Porschesolutions

Seaman Apprentice
Judge Judy: they couldn't reach the guy, so it didn't happen. I went to court, and lost as i didn't have my machine shop expert witness present: it would have been NICE TO KNOW HE NEEDED TO BE THERE! Jerk court systems.... :(

My WP had bottomed out on a protruding timing cover bolt head! l had already shaved the head down 60%, but that wasn't enough: last night I Dremel'd the head off completely down to the flange, then cut in a screw driver notch via Dremel, painted it black, and reinstalled it. With the water pump now tight (new gaskets again, clean surfaces, Marine Permatex only on the bolt threads), I have a millimeter clearance at the pump from the timing cover: glad I cut that bold head off!