470 wiring harness/ trim motors.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
My engines serial number is 6123990, I’m Stuck on a couple things. My engine wire harness is from another boat, Or should say half of the assembly. The side with the male ends/ plug end came from different boat. Female side was mounted to my boat.

I have added the solenoid to the starter. And added the alternator. Shouldn’t matter with my questions, just incase. I Had previous forum help on this and I also have manual 3. Double checking everything today all looks good. Trying to Wrap up last couple wires, found a problem.

Brown and white wire at back of engine. It is supposed to go to a terminal block. This wire is “ trim sender to trim gauge”

So off the terminal block, Brown/white wire goes to trim sender.
And I need to run a ground wire to sender from same block. Can I ground this anywhere?
And both wires run separate to sender, they don’t connect together at terminal block- correct?

problem 2 up next but related.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did continuity test. The brown/ white pings at pole 10 in the female harness, like it should. I go to plug it back in and notice the male half doesn’t have a #10.

this harness could have come from an 87 bluewater with a 470. Or it could have came with my boat 82 glasply. I used the nicer looking harness, other half is gone now.

What do I do?

Find a new harness half and wire it all up again? If so I would need the harness that’s wired for the 470 model with the 2 starter solenoids. Is there a part number?

or is there any easy fix/ reroute I can do?

What is strange in the service manual.all the 470 variants show the 10th pole in the harness. Maybe 87 was a newer version of this manual?

Thanks all

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo301759.jpg
    photo301759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo301760.jpg
    photo301760.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
At the male end, open the sheathing/tape wrap and locate the Brown /White cut and remove it from the plug end.
Connect to brown/white trim wire coming from transom

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks doc. Hope there’s a brown and white in there. I like this fix.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do I still need to run the brown/ white back to the trim sender off of the terminal block? Yes I think, but want to make sure.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
It doesn't HAVE to run off the terminal block, it's just tidier. The ground is usually on the screw that holds the terminal block to the mounting bracket.

9 pin harness. That's a VERY old harness. ;)

Chris............

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Chris,
so the connection I’ll be making in the plug with brown /white wire When i cut open the plug will seal the deal. I was thinking this brown and white had to carry on through harness, and separately itself to sender.

Going to post another soon some Qs on the 90 amp clip on breaker and trim solenoids.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
At the male end, open the sheathing/tape wrap and locate the Brown /White cut and remove it from the plug end.
Connect to brown/white trim wire coming from transom

Male end doesn’t have a brown/ white. And sounds like it’s an older harness. Not sure where to route the brwn/ white. Right now going to do conductive test at trim switch in dash. See if I can locate the wire I connect to that way?

achris

You may need to run a wire all the way back to the instrument cluster.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool, this boat has a trim sender gauge in dash. Am I going there or the throttle lever? that is where the trim up and down is.

achris

Trim gauge and trim pump are 2 completely separate systems. Run a wire from the S terminal on the back of the trim gauge to one of the wires from the trim sender.

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, so the brown and white to the “S” on gauge,The current wire going there stays or goes?

my trim senders need replacing. Wires off it are toast. So the brown/ white we’ve been talking about comes from the sender that’s on the gimbal, or is it part of harness.

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
To clarify the last post, will the brown and white go to the S on the gauge and connect to the sender wire? Or just the S on gauge?

achris

.... So the brown/ white we’ve been talking about comes from the sender that’s on the gimbal, or is it part of harness.

You have an old (instrument side) harness, so it may or may not be in that harness, you have to check. If it is, then break it open and connect it separately. There should be a brown/white in the engine side harness, that ends at the connector. That connector is where you connect the wires from the trim sender (the sender on the gimbal ring)...

If there's no wire in the (instrument) harness, then run a new wire from the S terminal on the trim gauge to the engine, and connect it to the connector that has the brown/wire on it already. Doesn't matter about the brown/white in the engine harness, just leave it there.

Chris.....

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I accidently posted this on my interrupter thread.

Ok, found a wire coming from trim senders that goes to “S” on trim gauge. It runs along side of boat with the stock wires but you can tell it was added after.

wondering if this changes anything?

there isn’t a brown/ white wire in the instrument side of harness.

And I have the brown and white wire hanging at back of engine.

achris

It appears someone found the same issue as you. Does that wire running from the gauge to the engine bay connect to the trim sender?

I'll delete the post out of the interrupt thread. :)

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think it does or did. It went through transom. I pulled it slightly for visual tug test. It’s hooked to a black wire with a rubber sleeve. That wire freyed and broke.

achris

I seem to remember you saying your replacing the trim senders . Sounds like they need it.