5.7 L Alpha One I/O won't turn over

Iowaboatguy

Cadet
I have a 1991 5.7 L Alpha One I/O (350) on my boat. When I go to turn the key it just keeps trying to turn over but never quite gets there. The battery is chargwe, carbs cleaned, throttle has been primed. We were having this probably before and we could manually open the carburetor on the motor will turning the key and that would do it. But now that does not work. I have used starting fluid to no good either.
Any idea what could be wrong?
​​​​​

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Is that cranking and not firing, or not turning over at all?

("Turning over" is the engine is being spun by the starter motor.)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
If you have a kill switch near the throttle control, make sure it didn't accidentally get switched off. That will also allow you to crank without it firing.

Bondo

Staff member
I have used starting fluid to no good either.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... This symptom says it's starvin' for gas,.....

Start by checkin' the Contents of the fuel filter, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... This symptom says it's starvin' for gas,.....

Start by checkin' the Contents of the fuel filter, for anything but clean fresh gasoline,.....

I am going to disagree here. If there is spark, that starting fluid would fire. There is no spark present at the moment. Get spark first.

Bondo

Staff member
I am going to disagree here. If there is spark, that starting fluid would fire. There is no spark present at the moment. Get spark first.

Ayuh,..... Yer absolutely Right Jim, Great catch,.....

I completely misread the op,.......