Mercruiser 3.0 w/alpha one

Icucmerc

Recruit
ok, foot cracked, my fault, didn’t winterize it, and foot cracked... it sits for 3 years. Broke down and decided heck let’s do this.. boats still in beautiful condition... alway doubled cover by cover and carport.... so I order a new foot and completely service the boat all new everything, all silenoids, plugs, and new foot.... after couple attempts to prime her with ingnition, I break out the starter fluid.... a few sprays and she’s purring.... no smoke, idling smooth..... but then I noticed 2 things.... my temp gauge wasn’t moving, and my sump pump kicked on.
turned it off, and had water coming out behind the Motor. Almost like it was coming from between them.... if I turn my water hose with muffs off. It stops....???? When I turn hose back on, water is coming into my boat..... can any body give me any idea what I’m looking at....????

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Ya didn't winterize it, the block froze, 'n atleast, pushed out the core plug in the back of the block, under the flywheel,.....
'n of course, it may have, or may not have also cracked the block,.....

A pressure test, after ya replace the core plug should tell ya whether it did, or not,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Going to have to pull the drive, then pull the motor to get to the back of the block to look at the core plug

You may want to look at the side of the block under the manifolds for a large tell-tale crack

Icucmerc

Recruit
What does the fact that motor runs smooth and no smoke out exhaust, or water in the oil mean, if anything.... does it imply plug vs crack?

daveg734

Cadet
Internal vs external crack. An external crack will leak water out. Internal will leak into the oil or exhaust. You probably have an external leak. Could also be the coolant hose from the sea pump to the engine. Could be as simple as someone forgot to reinstall a drain plug?

danhenke

Seaman
What does the fact that motor runs smooth and no smoke out exhaust, or water in the oil mean, if anything.... does it imply plug vs crack?

it means some of these fellas don’t think you can ever get off the trailer without tearing the motor down to the crankshaft bearings.

Im sure you did something wrong with your new leg on installation. Impossible to diagnose over the internet. More than likely have to look at how you installed the outdrive.

if I took some of the advice I got here (which some is good), I’d have to replace my motor, outdrive, transom and tow vehicle every time I checked my oil!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... It means, until you Look, to see exactly where this gusher is comin' from,......

We're all just Guessin',.....

This is what My reply is based on,....
didn’t winterize it,