Glaston sx175 starting

Luther53

Cadet
I have a glaston xs175 with the mercuiser engine I'm having paroblems with the cold start I pull the trottle out give it 3 pumps to prime the carb starts up and dies withing 5-10 seconds. Then takes 5 minutes with multiple starts to get it to idle long enough to give it a little throttle to keep in running. (sounds like a lean card in my opinion). Once it's starts and runs a little to wherever i find to start wakeboarding it will start just fine. Trying to see if anyone has good advise on things I can do to help the starting of the boat to get it to idle from a cold start.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A big block motor in such a small boat? So exactly WHAT is a 2000 300 hp mercruiser

harleyman1975

Ensign
Sounds like it is time to clean and rebuild that carb and make sure the electric choke is working properly.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like it is time to clean and rebuild that carb and make sure the electric choke is working properly.

Year 2000, 18 years old, when was the carburetor last cleaned (internally)?

Pull the carb, strip it, soak it overnight in cleaner. Then blow it out and reassemble, paying particular attention to all the settings. Also check the operation of the choke system, remembering that this is a TKS carb, so check the diode for short or open circuit... Check the 20A fuse and the temperature switch too.

Chris.....

Luther53

Cadet
Thank you will do the cleaning and so forth I got this boat 3 weeks ago taken it out twice and same issue both time I also don't see a choke on this manual or electrical. Read the manual says pump throttle several time and leave it in the slow/start position yo start so a choke is something I don't believe this has.

achris

Nope, no choke, it's TKS. Don't pump the throttle, just set it at a slightly high idle and hit the key. If the TKS is working, it should fire straight up.

achris

Thanks I'll check it out and see how the high idle is set

No, you move the throttle lever to the 'high idle' position, no changes to anything on the carb...
It's not a 'setting' as such. It's just where you put the lever if you want it to run at about 1,400 revs...