Mercarb Rebuild Instructions - Video

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Mods and Mercruiser aficionados...

As part of my bayliner restoration video series I'm making over on youtube, I made the 1st of 2 videos covering the teardown and rebuild of a 2 barrel Mercarb. I just realized, I don't think there is anything over in the ADULTS ONLY section on carb rebuilds.

Was wondering if it would make sense to put these over there?

Thoughts?

harringtondav

Commander
Excellent! Anyone who can read the enclosed carb kit instructions, has a 7/16 socket/box wrench and a set of Torx hand drivers, and a can of straw nozzle aerosol carb cleaner can clean and rebuild their carb. Great first confidence building first step for a nervous, novice DIY. Too bad the kits don't mention removing the spark arrester/air cleaner stud. After ?Dozen carb o'hauls, I again forgot this last winter on my 4bbl Weber, until I finally figured out why that air horn was so subborn.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
My carb rebuild kit actually didn't come with any instructions, so that was a bad start, but is actually a really simple process... Just intimidating with all of the parts and having to remember where they all go.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
FYI in case anyone liked the idea of having these somewhere, Heres the part 2 video of the reassembly process.
I guess if we don't want them in the stickies, I could at least link it in my sig or something...

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Yea, I wasn't sure if buying the Sierra kit was a gamble. I've used a lot Sierra stuff before and been happy with it, however this kit proved me wrong, but only with the lack of instructions, and the thinner metal on the "T" in the main discharge... Other than that, it all went pretty well.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The other Sierra part you absolutely need to avoid is their bellows... I used one once, and I won't be making THAT mistake again!

I was once, long time ago, told that Merc OEM and Sierra/GLM/etc parts mostly come from the same factories, and that Merc QC everything and take the best, about 60% of a production... The factory doesn't discard the rejects... No prizes for guessing where they go.... And yes, that includes impellers.

I find it quite laughable that people are happy to spend thousands on purchasing a boat, but are willing to risk destroying an engine to save a couple of $$ on critical spares. Or build a new engine, then question the value of using quality oil in that engine. :facepalm:

I always ask myself, "If this cheap and nasty component fails, how much damage is it going to do to my wallet?" I then put down 'Wong's backyard shop' impeller and pick up the OEM one....

I'll have a look at the videos and discuss it with the other mods with a view to adding them to the stickies.....

Chris..........

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Chris! Never really thought about where those parts come from lol...

not saying I'm by far the mercarb expert but I tried to cover everything. I just need to finish up one last quick video on setting all the odds and ends per the merc manual.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Just for continuity's sake, I'll post the last of the mercarb series I made here so they are all in one post. Not sure if Chris or any mods made any decisions on sticky worthiness, but if not, at least they are all together.