Updating Control Box and Cables

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, but I can't seem to track down the answer in searching the forum.

I am looking to replace the control box and cables for a 1992 Mercruiser 4.3LX with Alpha I Gen II drive. I am thinking of upgrading to a Quicksilver 8M0011213 control box, or the SeastarCH1751P. But if I go with the Quicksilver, it requires Gen II cables. So, my question is: Can I use Gen II cables on the 92 4.3LX? By looks the connections should be the same, but want to be sure!

Also, any recommendations on other good control boxes for my setup?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The Gen.II cables changed at the control end, but not the motor ends,....

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone had any experience with the newer SeaStar Xtreme Controls? Looks like a pretty nice setup to me...

hangdogger512

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone had any experience with the newer SeaStar Xtreme Controls? Looks like a pretty nice setup to me...

Just following up on this post, as I did end up buying the SeaStar Xtreme... and it is garbage. Install was smooth and everything looks great. BUT... upon first test, the friggin neutral warm up button stuck and wouldn't release. Opened the cap and its just this cheap plastic plunger in there, pushing on a tiny pin with almost no spring pressure. Took my about ten minutes of fiddling to get the shift module to engage again. Then, next time I used the button again to rev up, it stuck in again.

THEN, once I did get it running and start tuning, it kept tripping the roller cutout switch whenever I tried to put into drive/reverse... so I calculated the cable throw and it was 3.25". Problem is my Mercruiser 4.3/aplha1gen2 requires 3" throw. So, I verified the cable install locations and they were all correct per SeaStars install guide for a Mercruiser I/O with 3" cable travel. :-/ Now waiting on a response from a SeaStar service tech if there is a cable mounting arrangement that I can try that will actually result in a 3" travel.

Likely going to be replacing this control system again soon....