1974 crestliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobdebuilder

Recruit
I’m currently on a deployment in the Middle East, but when I get back my grandparents are giving me their old boat. It’s a 1974 crestliner sterndrive 140 hp. That’s pretty much all I know about it. I remember going out on the lake in Chattanooga, Tn with it about 15-17 years ago. My grandfather says that the engine starts and runs and that he rebuilt it within the past few years, but hasn’t used it since. I was wondering what kind of problems I might run into with the engine, and if there were any newer engines I could swap into it. I’m new to all of this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... 'n Thank you for yer service to Our country,.......

If the motor was recently rebuilt, you shouldn't have any motor problems for many more years,.....

That said, even though that motor was born in the '60s,....
It's still in current production today,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first....thank you for your service

second....welcome aboard

the motor will last a long time with proper routine maintenance. being a 1974, points ignition, so in the spring you will need to file the points, set gap, adjust dwell and set timing. about every 15 years change them along with cap, rotor, and plugs other than that, oil changes, and the fuel system maintenance. the motor is pretty bullet proof.

the 140hp is the 3.0. basically motor is same from 1990 and older and the 1991 and newer have a 1-piece rear main seal

its a stroked version of the 2.5 (153 cubic inch) motor that came out in 1962 for the Chevy II

Bobdebuilder

Recruit
Thanks for giving me a little peace of mind. I’m hoping the boat has no major issues. I won’t be home for a few more months, but I’m pretty excited about this project. I know I’m going to need to have it reupholstered and re-carpeted and I’m hoping that’s about it. I’d hate to pull the carpet up and find everything rotted out down there, or the transom to be falling apart. When I get home, I will post updates as I go along.

jshorty

Recruit
Thank you for your service! Looks like you have a nice project on your hands! Good luck with the carpeting and reupholstering! I am looking for a 1977-1978 Crestliner Apollo like my had when I was kid. He recently passed away and I am hoping to find something to take out on the bay and make some memories with my kids. I'd love to see pictures as you progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.