Which part is the right gimbal bearing?

NatalieD

Cadet
I feel like this should be obvious, but I don’t want to order the wrong thing. I have a 2002 Mercruiser with SN OM289921, and I’m using the online Mercruiser parts catalog to find the correct parts. Looking at the screenshot I’m attaching, do I need the Bearing Assembly with part number 862540A3 or the Bearing Kit-GIMBL with part number 879194A01? Both point to #10 on the diagram.

Attachments

• photo295885.jpg
    photo295885.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 2

harringtondav

Commander
The 879...is a permanently sealed gimbal bearing. If your gimbal hsg. has a pipe plug in the lube port on the right, this is what come out.

I'm a "more grease is better" guy, and I've found permalube U joints can take more grease than what is provided, and I guess the permanently sealed gimbal brg. is the same. I have the previous rev. Gen II. It has the greaseable version which I like. When I do my annual/semi annual O/D pull, I give the bearing a few extra pumps of grease to force out the old grease so I can check for water, and repack the thing.

Merc replaced their greaseable gimbal brgs. with the above and a pipe plug to replace the grease zerk. >$100. I suggest using the Sierra18-2100, remove the pipe plug and insert a grease fitting if you don't have one. $$48. It's the same Link-Belt part that merc. uses, and you can assure yourself the bearing is fully packed, always.