Mercruiser 4.3 Gen + issue!

Sullivanryant

Recruit
I have a 1996 Rinker captiva 192 with the 4.3 alpha one Gen+. Last year, had an incident where it ran fine at high speeds for about a half hour. When I slowed down to go through a no wake zone, it got extremely boggy when I tried to open it back up. In neutral, engine ran fine and would
rev very smoothly, however under any power it would bog and die. This year I changed all fluids, new water separater, new gas, and took it out. Ran like a top at high speeds. Slowed down to check out some scenery, and the same issue happened. Engine idles fine, will rev fine in neuteal, but extremely boggy under any power and I had to limp it home. Thoughts!? I’m miffed and want to know if i can try anything prior to taking it in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

buy a carb kit....go thru the carb. you have dirt in the idle circuits

Sullivanryant

Recruit
Thanks for the advice! I do have a technical question about this issue... How come the engine will run fine intially, but when I slow down after an extended period of time, it will bog? I'm just trying to figure out why the dirty idle circuits don't become an issue until the engine has been up and running for awhile.... ill be ordering a rebuild kit here this weekend.

Thanks!!