Changing from 350 chevy v8 to inline 6 merc

i have a 350 chevy v8 OMC motor and stringer out drive in a 1971 slickcraft 23 footer. i am going to replace with a merc setup just to have more parts available. i was wondering if i will notice a significant power drop if i downgraded to the 165 hp inline 6 or should i just hold out for another v8? ( i dont mind if its a bit slower because its a fishing boat but i just dont want to slowed down to like 10-20mph)

and yes i know hole size is different, i am redoing stringers and transom to accept mercury.

kenny nunez

Captain
There are more V8 Mercruiser set up parts available than 6 cylinder stuff. Slick Crafts are heavy like all good quality boats built in that era. You will actually use more fuel with the 6 than with the V8. I repowered a lot of boats with more power and never had a complaint about fuel consumption.

Thanks! You answered my question spot on, I'll just hold out for a bigger merc. Just waiting on the perfect donor boat so I can get the swap going.

thumpar

Admiral
You could use the 350 engine still. Just find a donor Mercruiser with a bad 350 engine of the same year range as your engine and swap the externals.