Merc Alpha- Replacing the stern oil feed tube plastic fitting

frogman1212

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 2003 Merc Alpha with an ever so slight leak dripping from the 1/4 low pressure tube coming from the reservoir to the outside of the boat. It appears that it is leaking from the plastic connector or possibly the tube, but I am pretty sure it is from the plastic fitting at the gimbal housing.

Below is an blurb from a site that had a pretty detailed explanation of what to do if the hose is leaking, but it does not say what to do if the plastic fitting is cracked. My fundamental question is this, what is involved to replace the plastic fitting and or the tube? Does the gimbal assembly have to come off, how do I get access to it if need be from the engine compartment which when I looked appeared to be almost impossible. Bottom line, where do I start??? thanks for your help

Gary

"On the outside of the boat, the lube hose will attach to a fitting at the gimbal housing, then feed lube through the hose to another fitting at the back of the bell housing (where the drive unit attaches). There were two types of fittings used at the gimbal housing (some were brass and some were plastic), if you have a plastic fitting, I would not be surprised if it were cracked (common).

To replace the hose... if you have a plastic type fitting, you will have to remove the hose end quick connector, then remove the e-clip holding the plastic tube fitting into the gimbal housing from inside the boat (a real bear to get to), once the e-clip is removed, you can push the fitting through to the ouside of the boat to replace it, the lube hose, or both. To remove On the outside of the boat, the lube hose will attach to a fitting at the gimbal housing, then feed lube through the hose to another fitting at the back of the bell housing (where the drive unit attaches). There were two types of fittings used at the gimbal housing (some were brass and some were plastic), if you have a plastic fitting, I would not be surprised if it were cracked (common).

To replace the hose... if you have a plastic type fitting, you will have to remove the hose end quick connector, then remove the e-clip holding the plastic tube fitting into the gimbal housing from inside the boat (a real bear to get to), once the e-clip is removed, you can push the fitting through to the ouside of the boat to replace it, the lube hose, or both. To remove the other end of the drive lube hose, you should be able to tilt the drive unit all the way up and see where the hose attached to a brass fitting at the bell housing (just above the shift cable). While it may be possible (though extremely difficult and messy due to lube loss from the drive) to replace the hose with the drive attached and the bell housing secured, I would highly recommend removing the drive, remove the shift cable out of the way from the bell housing only if needed to access the hose fitting to replace the lube hose, if only the plastic fitting at the gimbal housing is cracked and the hose is ok, you may want to replace just the fitting.

If you have a brass type fitting at the gimbal housing, you will have to remove the fitting, nut and washer (instead of an e-clip) from inside the boat to push the brass oil hose fitting through the gimbal housing for the replacement of the hose.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Do a search on the forums for oil reservoir transom bulkhead fitting.
You didn't mention what engine or your boat type. I dealt with this nightmare a few years back. My boat has the big cushion sun pad instead of a dog house. I think this helped for better access. I was able to contort myself into the engine bay and reach in there with one hand. First thing I did was got my cellphone in there and took several pictures to see exactly what it looked like. Some people suggest disconnecting the power steering arm to get better clearance. I didn't do that. I reached in there with a long thin screwdriver to lift the "e" clip out. Putting the new e-clip on was the hard part. Along with the bulkhead fitting, I purchased a few of those e-clips because I figured I might drop a couple. They are stainless steel, so you can't hold onto them with a magnet. With determination and body contortion I was able to get it clipped on using needle nose pliers. Maybe some help from a friend with long arms would help.