Opinions needed - Scrap boat, or re-power? Searay Sundeck with seized Mercury 5.0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
who is telling you that you need new pistons on a new long-block? something is fishy there

you can build a brand new long block for $3000-$3500 (either stroker or stock)

what is an intake manifold cover?

why do you need a new distributor?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
no, you should keep everything together in a single post. as I stated in your other thread. you should not need new pistons for a reman motor. something is seriously fishy.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
A reman motor should have new pistons already in it. $6K should have gotten you repowered with just a long block and some miscellaneous.

Has the engine in its present state been fired up and sea trialed? If not, there’s no way they can know if it needs a distributor or probably even fuel injectors. You are rapidly approaching a point where you could have had a mercury reman 5.7 mpi engine.

It shouldnt be this ongoing process for a fairly straightforward repower. You should have had an estimate to have the work done which you would agree to. Any big changes to that figure should be something you’re notified of immediately, but should also be limited in scope. A freshly remanned engine should have new pistons in it. And small block pistons are dirt cheap (unless he’s trying to Bill you for mercury pistons). If he’s saying you need them, point our that they should be new, and if there’s a problem with the new pistons that’s a warranty issue on the engine and at this point, it’s between him and the vendor he got it from.

i understand most women aren’t very savvy where engines are concerned. A few posts back you had mentioned “outdrive manifold.” Did this mechanic tell you, you need an “outdrive manifold?” If he did, if you’re not mistaken, no such thing exists. And demand to know what a manifold cover is. Because I don’t know what that is. And I hate to say this, but it sounds like whoever is telling you this sees a woman with a boat in need of repair.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My BS detector is going crazy. The OP is being bent over. You must have "sucker" printed on your forehead.

This is just wrong on so many levels. "Manifold Cover"??? Aren't those installed with sky hooks and left handed pipe wrenches?

The engine is just a plain old Chevrolet car/truck engine. Nothing fancy or custom. ALL! "long blocks" come with new pistons, and they are NOT! $300 each.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
new SBC cast pistons are $99 for 8 of them. you can get hyper-eutectic for $139 for 8 of them.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I rebuilt my Chevy V-6 and my machinist bought a FULL set of oversize 5.7L V8 pistons and rings for under $150 my cost. This is not a happy thread. Making me cranky.

StinkinRenken85

Seaman Apprentice
maybe when she said outdrive manifold she meant trim manifold which is a pretty inexpensive part like 80 bucks including the cover for those that dont have an anode there and the gaskets...My advice as a new boat owner who has been in a similar situation for a year wondering if I should sell or keep trying to fix is to ask questions on this forum BEFORE you give the ok on spending any more money.. these folks know there stuff and answer fast!

Marina

Cadet
I'm calling now to get an itemized receipt for the latest parts. When my mechanic talks, I always take notes, and may have gotten some of the names incorrectly. I'm willing to learn about engines, but I have zero experience beyond calling AAA. The motor from ATK was bare and my mechanic is transferring over parts from my seized motor, to the new long block. As he got inside and behind the motor once it was lifted, he noticed all these other parts corroded, rusted, ruined. I can post pics. Sorry if it got to be two threads. THANK YOU ALL!! Will come back here asap

tpenfield

Staff member
This whole situation is unfortunate, because the amount of money seems to be staggering and problematic. I think it is a function of paying others to do the work, whereas some/many do their own work and make their own judgements about what is needed and what is not.

I'm assuming that you are not in a position to do the work, and therefore, you must trust others. The thing about having 'the professionals' do repair/restoration work is that they will take the 'safe' route on a lot of part decisions because they will ultimately need to stand behind their work. So, if something is rusty or has some other questionable quality, it is likely to be replaced, thus driving up the cost.

hopefully, it will all work out and you will have an operable boat. The tough pill to swallow will be the investment vs. the value will be about 4:1.

No real solutions here, but an expensive lesson learned.

Marina

Cadet
The extra 2,000 in parts: Spark plugs 106 for 8 (I was wrong above), cable assy - shift 101, hose water - 85 (retail 200), shutter kit - water 65, plug kit 27, seal 23, oil 28, Fuel Injector 348, tmap sensor 95, Transom repair kit 385, lots of smaller parts, hoses, impeller kit, clevis pin, filter, seals,,, to total $2,170 - individually parts seems reasonable and discounted, but it really adds up. I'd hate to be out on the water and have a small part go out and have to have the engine lifted out - do you agree? Right now, the engine is done, and he's working on the transome. The boat was leaking water from every direction including it's cover (under the cushions). I feel I want it done 100% right, with no leaks in the event I sell/trade one day. I wouldn't want anyone to have these issues or worse, take on water. Am I right to keep going? I'm so far into it now... and I have faith in this mechanic, even though the labor is high.

Marina

Cadet
And yes, we can sea trial it next week when it's all done, praying the weather in Boston stays above freezing. Anyone want to go with me for the sea trial in Quincy/Hingham (assuming you experts have nothing else to do lol)? This group is the best!

Marina

Cadet
porscheguy - too add closed cooling would be too expensive on top of all the other mechanic issues I've had to repair. also, there may not be much room in the engine compartment once it's all done, so I will hold off adding closed cooling.