Opinions needed - Scrap boat, or re-power? Searay Sundeck with seized Mercury 5.0

Marina

Cadet
Advice needed on my First Boat!

I purchased this boat from the mechanic of the owner, so I trusted that it was seaworthy and would function for at least a season or two. (In Boston, MA) I'm now only at day 17 of ownership and the boat is on the hard.

Boat ran four short trips, then the engine seized. I had a mechanic on it for five days and couldn't get it to unseize. Hauled out boat, sent to different marina/mechanic and they want $18,000 for a new motor, risers, manifold, bellows and outdrive. My home marina quotes the same thing.

Another mechanic quoted $12,000 to repower with a reman Mercury Beta.

I only paid $12,000 as this was my budget for my first boat to just get out on the water. As you boat owners know that I now know, I've spent another $8,000 in repairs, parts, insurance, tax, registration, etc.

I had a sea trial and survey! The surveyor didn't catch the large, visible crack in the outdrive. The boat takes on water (has a half bellows), and the outdrive has been pried off at one point to repair, and has a large crack in it. The sparks and oil were full of rust and water.

What are my recourses? Sell won't refund/return. Time for a dreaded lawsuit? The surveyor does have insurance - Insurance denied surveyor had this type of coverage though he does carry liability. Anyone have experience with this?

Ideas? Hope? Suggestions? I just want to be out on the water! All appreciated.

Marina

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Surveyor is off because you have used the boat 4 times

Turn your own wrenches. SEI outdrive is $2300, new motor if you assemble yourself is $2200

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

You posted this on THT a couple days ago. Probably will get the same sort of answers.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
:welcome:

You posted this on THT a couple days ago. Probably will get the same sort of answers.
I suggested she come over here and pose her questions because over at THT everyone claims to own yellowfins and Freeman’s they bought with cash. And here, people actually work for a living and have real budgetary constraints. I also suggested this place to her specifically because you are in the same area as her and may be more able to recommend local sources for parts and repairs.

tpenfield

Staff member
I suggested she come over here and pose her questions because over at THT everyone claims to own yellowfins and Freeman’s they bought with cash. And here, people actually work for a living and have real budgetary constraints. I also suggested this place to her specifically because you are in the same area as her and may be more able to recommend local sources for parts and repairs.

Understood. Those Yellowfin guys are a bunch :D

This saga did start last fall, but seems to continue.

Marina I'd start off by telling exactly what happened during the sales process. Did you buy from a dealer, broker, directly from the owner? Did you get your own mechanic/surveyor, or did the selling party 'provide' or recommend those folks?

Based on the THT thread, it sounds like you got set up.

Post up some pictures of the outdrive, crack, etc. from different angles, perspectives, etc. (read the sticky about posting pictures).

I don't know of anyone specifically in the Boston area who could do mechanical work in an economical fashion. (of course I do my own work, so why would I know of a mechanic :) ) I also would not immediately think that both engine and outdrive need to be replaced. In the pictures posted on the other forum the 'crack' in the outdrive looked to be the bell housing, which can be replaced. If the outdrive actually works, then there is a $2K savings.

FWIW - I did sell my Formula 242 with basically no engine, after the engine had hydro-locked. I got $7 for a boat that was probably worth about $12-13K with a good engine. The 'new' engine would have cost me about $4-5K, plus my own wrench turning, so it was a wash.

You paid $12K for the boat, plus $4K in expenses so far. But focus on the $12K. You could list the boat as a "mechanic's special", needing a new engine. If you get $6K take it and run. And the $6K of loss is the price of the lesson learned.

Alternatively, you could go the "fix-it" route and probably spend about $5-6K getting a new(used) engine and maybe just fixing the outdrive. However, it would be really good to know exactly what happened to the engine, whether it was freeze damage of just bad exhaust manifold gaskets. That way you can keep parts that are probably good.

Marina do you have any auto mechanic friends? Feel free to PM me your location, maybe I can take a look. :noidea:

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Can you post some pictures of the boat? What kind of shape is the interior and hull in. If the rest of the boat is in Great shape I'd say it's worth It especially if you can find a way to do the work yourself. I did a similar repower three years ago, bought a handy mans special with cracked engine block. I wouldn't have done it unless the rest of the boat was in perfect shape Like it was.

Best outcome is as noted above to find a way to do the work yourself.

If the survey included mechanical survey at the very least he should give you your money back. Water in cylinders and oil is pretty basic.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Understood. Those Yellowfin guys are a bunch :D

with Yellowfin, it starts at the factory.....ooh, said that out loud

Marina tell us exactly what is wrong with the motor and drive and we can help you the least expensive method to get you on the water enjoying one of the worlds most expensive hobby (except horse racing....horse racing is actually more expensive than yacht racing)

Marina

Cadet
Hi everyone: I sincerely apologize, I never came back to this thread and am only now seeing your thoughtful and helpful replies!! Thank you so much!

Yes, Porscheguy recommended I try this forum for some help as well as THT.

So the whole story... I purchased the boat in September last year. It worked four days then the engine seized. Owning a boat was my life-long dream, and I enjoyed every darned second of those four drives, all alone except for once. I sat under the runway of Boston's Logan with music blasting, and was deafened and thrilled by the jets flying so closely overhead! Oh what a thrill!

Okay, so now I've paid for a dock at my marina I can't even use, plus every other expense so after sitting at the dock (lol), I began getting some estimates, and joined The Hull Truth and made that post last September. I then just stopped all efforts for the boat, heartbroken, and not knowing what to do. I finally got up the courage to fight for my rights! I took the seller to court because it was Blatantly obvious they pulled the wool over my head. There was so much deferred maintenance on the boat now that I've learned alot about it. I'm financially and emotionally tied to this boat, so I did it! AND...... I WON!!! We actually settled and I think it worked out nicely for the seller and for me. I got a remanufactured ATK engine, new manifolds/risers, bell housing, etc. and only am left with paying for the mechanic. I wish I knew of the offer from NC Bt Doctur as my son is there, and I would have investigated this option.

Yes, the boat is in excellent shape, cushions are good with minor wear (boat is a 2003), covers are in good shape, bimini top, dash, head all good. I made a lot of repairs last year such as head, horn, gear shifter, lock on cooler closet, new lines, fender, all safety equipment. I had an awesome GPS mounted on the side that I can't wait to use! I never got the chance to use it (used my phone app and paper charts those four times), as the boat broke the day after I had it installed.

Sooooo.... now, the boat is being repowered! I have also purchased new batteries (happens when you leave a boat in a boatyard for over a year)... and I had to buy new spacers, but so far the guy's doing a good job. Total job will be $4,000 plus the outdrive/bellows repair which could go up to another $2,000. We want to make sure to locate the leak and fix it while the engine is out. I can post pics - should I post here her THT? I may copy this same info on THT to save time and thank everyone.

Any advice on what to look out for now that the engine is coming out? Would you replace worn wires, depthfinder, etc? I'm waiting to paint it until my checking account stops smoking.

Once repaired, is it okay to trailer/ship it to Florida without testing it out locally? Or is another sea trial mandatory after a repower? My mechanic goes to Ft. Lauderdale so if he needs to tweak anything, he's not too far from me in Florida.

Many thanks!

tpenfield

Staff member
Glad to hear that you prevailed and are moving forward. $6K for an engine installation and some outdrive work sounds pricey. But you can’t always control these things.

not much chance to test the boat out up north.

the THT forum is geared towards outboard center console fishing boats. IBoats is more for the inboard/outboard boats.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
It would probably be wise to sea trial it ASAP after repairs are made, however in mid November in Boston, that may not be in the cards. but if your mechanic goes down there and you’re down there, and he’s willing to stand behind the work, take it on down. Just don’t waste much time testing it. I see countless horror stories where people have the boat worked on, wait 6 months to get it in the water, find out it’s still broken and the mechanic has washed his hands of any warranty obligations. Next thing you know, the boat hasn’t been run in 3 years and the owner is dumping it at fire sale pricing because they’re disgusted with boating.

As for painting. What are you planning to have painted? Bottom paint/antifouling? Or are you having it painted to spruce up the appearance? If it’s to spruce up faded gelcoat, look into getting it compounded and polished. Plenty of videos on YouTube, where guys bring some real train wrecks back to life.

If youre planning on Florida for the long haul, I’d look into closed cooling when the budget permits.

Marina

Cadet
It would probably be wise to sea trial it ASAP after repairs are made, however in mid November in Boston, that may not be in the cards. but if your mechanic goes down there and you’re down there, and he’s willing to stand behind the work, take it on down. Just don’t waste much time testing it. I see countless horror stories where people have the boat worked on, wait 6 months to get it in the water, find out it’s still broken and the mechanic has washed his hands of any warranty obligations. Next thing you know, the boat hasn’t been run in 3 years and the owner is dumping it at fire sale pricing because they’re disgusted with boating.

As for painting. What are you planning to have painted? Bottom paint/antifouling? Or are you having it painted to spruce up the appearance? If it’s to spruce up faded gelcoat, look into getting it compounded and polished. Plenty of videos on YouTube, where guys bring some real train wrecks back to life.

If youre planning on Florida for the long haul, I’d look into closed cooling when the budget permits.

Porshceguy: Thanks for the advice again. I'm praying for some warm weather, but then if I did a sea trial up here in Boston, then got it on a shipping company's truck, it could still risk freezing by the time it gets to Florida, so perhaps I have to sea trial it in Jacksonville, where I plan to stop, then drive it down the ICW on my own. I do have boat people in my family in Jacksonville who could check it out to make sure it's safe to drive. Yes, on the exterior! It's cosmetic. Some of the decals were scratched off/broken when I purchased the boat, and there's a yellow water line. I will look into compound/polish, and maybe just remove the cracked decals? (though I think they are cool)

Marina

Cadet
Glad to hear that you prevailed and are moving forward. $6K for an engine installation and some outdrive work sounds pricey. But you can’t always control these things.

not much chance to test the boat out up north.

the THT forum is geared towards outboard center console fishing boats. IBoats is more for the inboard/outboard boats.

Thanks for the info ;) I didn't know that about the two forums. I can also load the photos into iBoats. Yes, THT seems to be alot of fishing people. As for the mechanic, I really didn't have a choice. The mechanic who backed me up in court was a real sweetheart guy, but he just disappeared... maybe personal problems I'm guessing as he was on that path for sure. He was to do the entire job for $3,000 but stopped responding, so I went with the mechanic who actually showed up, even though it was double.

aimlow

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any of you guys have the link to the THT thread?

There's some decent guys there, but screw THT management. Screw Ibobi. After 12 faithful years there, I got canned for telling a joke.

You have a small block Chevy engine. Nothing fancy. Closed cooling makes a huge difference..engine will last forever. No freezing issues. Besides, the hotter you run the engine (within reason) the longer it lasts, and the mor efficient it is.

Marina

Cadet
aimlow, good point about adding closed cooling, going to ask my mechanic now, just more $$$

Just today I was over at the boatyard, and also now I have to but all new pistons, outdrive manifold may have a crack, and need a new injector. maybe worth a separate post...

Marina

Cadet
Sink or swim? Keep going on a re-power or bail? Mercruiser 5.0

Money pit.... keep going???? Sink or swim???

Bought Searay Sundeck with Mercury 5.0 Alpha (open cooled) one year ago. Used four times, engine seized. Hauled out, discovered years of leaking, engine full of water and salt, rust, cracks, misuse/abuse...

Got a new long motor, rebuilt. Got new mani/risers, batteries, etc. Currently have a great mechanic under a tent moving over everything from dead motor, as well as repairing a cracked outdrive and replacing the gimble housing.

NOW, today, was shown the parts and told I need new pistons (8 @ 100-300 each!), a new injector, new Distributor, an intake manifold cover, and I'm sure more parts will be discovered...

Purchase price: $12,000
Safety equipment and GPS, mechanical prior to seized engine, taxes, dockage, haul out, insurance, US boat membership, horn, repair head: $12,000

Repower Project so far: $6,000

Estimated more to go to complete repairs: 2,000-3,000

Estimate to move boat to Florida $2,400

Want to reupholster, clean hull, remove cracked pin-striping

I thought how great, I BOUGHT MY VERY OWN FIRST BOAT FOR $12,000 - AREN'T I CLEVER!?! (NOT!)
$35,000 would have bought a sweet boat that is already in Florida...

Keep going, or bail out??????