trim no work after bellows job

Fettb

Cadet
So I did the bellows job and put everything back together (400 hours later). I figured everything would work flawlessly since I didn't touch a thing other than engine alignment and bellows job. I figured wrong and I've now lost my mind. I have no trim whatsoever, no click noise, no nothing! I went out and bought a new battery because my battery tested bad. Put in the new battery and nothing.

Any ideas before I \douse this thing with gas and light a match?

tpenfield

Staff member
Trim Sender and Trim limit switch ??? How about those? You would have taken those off during the disassembly. Did you re-install and calibrate them (particularly the limit switch when you were putting things back together?

What model outdrive do you have?

Fettb

Cadet
It’s an alpha one gen 2. I put the senders in the exact location as the original location. I figured I need to do some calibration , but they should at least work some? I don’t even hear the solenoid click!

SeaRay175 1995

Recruit
Sorry to hear. I just had a major lea on my Trim Fluid... all over engine... Wish you well
I share in your pain. Im wrestling with an engine that has timing issues after just replacing a starter and getting stuck out in the water.

tpenfield

Staff member
The limit switch has to be set correctly or you will get nothing when trying to raise the outdrive with the trim switch at the helm.

Does the outdrive want to go down, but not up? Will the 'trailer/tilt' switch raise the outdrive?

harringtondav

Commander
tpenfield is asking the right questions. Basic root cause problem analysis always comes back to "what changed?" You R&R'd the switches. If you were one spline tooth off, you are 30 degrees off. This will keep your (left/port) trim limit switch open way too low. Try pulling it off, rotating it one tooth CCW and see if you are able to trim up w/o the trailer switch. If you are, again loosen the clamp screws and rotate the switch hsg. and using the up/down - not trailer - switch find the switch location that stops up/in at a trim cylinder length of 20 3/4" measured between the cylinder's fore and aft pin bores. Then clamp it up. The trim position switch is the same. If it won't adjust w/in a reasonable range by rotating the switch in it's slot, figure out which direction it's off, pull it, pick a new spline tooth, and tweak it in.

Fettb

Cadet
Ok, I had no idea it was that sensitive. I’ll fiddle with the adjustments more.

i bought a new battery last night and charged it overnight. I knew that fix the tram, but I knew my battery was very old and that’s the sad so I figured it was a longshot.

I hooked everything up this morning and as expected, trim still does not work.

I figured I would fire up the boat to feel better about life. I don’t feel better since my motor will not turn over... The solenoid clicks and the motor seems to want to crank, maybe turned a quarter rev and no more. It also did this when I was aligning the drive and turned the motor to check alignment in multiple positions . At that time I assumed I was dealing with my crappy batter and dismissed it....

i didnt touch this motor so I’m totally confused. This was a bellows job and shift cable replacement. This dumb boat ran flawlessly two weeks ago.

my only guess is the shift cable switch but I though that killed power to the starter....

and here i thought i was I was at the end of my line yesterday.....

Bondo

Staff member
I hooked everything up this morning and as expected, trim still does not work.
my only guess is the shift cable switch but I though that killed power to the starter....

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Did ya clean the battery connections, when ya put in the new battery,..??

Just Cleanin', Shiny metal Clean, both ends of both battery cables, might quite possibly fix yer problem,.....

Ditto the trim pump's cables to the battery, or starter post, whichever way yer's is wired up,.....

The shift switch effects only the Ignition,....

Fettb

Cadet
Update.... the auto store sold me a 500amp battery instead of the 1000 amp battery I had. Once I changed the battery the engine STILL didn’t want to turn over. It clicked and growled and maybe turned a 1/4 rev. Then, all of a sudden, it turned over like it should (after a dozen tries or so). The engine started up! I’m guess my starter is starting to become unhappy, but it’s all good now!

the trim still does not work.... no click, no nothing.. trailer switch or trim switch. Neither does a thing. Now that my motor runs and I know battery is all good, I’ll start digging into this trim with a clear mind. Not sure what this could be, but I’m back in the game!!!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Next time the engine won’t turn over, take out the spark plugs.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
I had my trim limit switches off to clean as well. Yes...they ARE very "finicky" about the positioning.

Fettb

Cadet
So I went to start troubleshooting the trim tonight and immediately found a three pronged harness disconnected. How this happens due to a bellows job is beyond me, but one I plugged it in my trim worked. Amazing right?

I dropped the boat into our lake tonight and took her for a nice spin. She seems dry and sounds great! That gimbal bearing must have been super terrible because the growing is no more in the back of the boat!

life is good, thanks again for all of the support!!!

Brian