Engine Shuts Off

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
I have been chasing a issue for about a year now. I have a 2015 Stingray 198 LX with a 4.3 mercruser 190 HP TKS. I will be running along and it just shuts off like you turned the key off nothing. Sometimes the ignition breaker trips. . I have checked every connection I can find. Everything looks good. Happens once in a blue moon you just never know. I have been told to replace breakers not done yet and Ignition switch. Can not make it happen when i want. Shook all connection etc Just happens when it wants to....HELPPPPP its driving me crazy... Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Electrical gremlins are tough to track down,......

Like in This thread,.... No way it coulda been found, without bein' there,.....
I was chasing a short circuit that would blow an ignition fuse when I went to neutral. The short was at the coil. I found the short at the plug where the pins were mashed together. I straightened the pins, installed the plug and a new fuse, engages the interrupt switch and the short was cured.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Mine is shutting down while on the move . In gear thanks though I am open to all ideas.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks I will give it a try but when this happens I loose all power to dash. It does not act like pulling the lanyard.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thanks I will give it a try but when this happens I loose all power to dash. It does not act like pulling the lanyard.

Not the lanyard then. Might just be a corrosion issue in the big connector on the engine. There is a wire brush made for cleaning trailer plugs, you might see if it will help any to brush out the contacts.

Bondo

Staff member
Everything looks good.

Ayuh,..... Looks, can be very deceivin' with electrical gremlins,...

Corrosion happens Inside connections, under the nut holdin' 'em together,....

Ya probably oughta just start at the battery posts, 'n remove, 'n clean everything to shiny metal Clean,.....
Don't forget the Grounds, 'n both ends of all the wires/ cables,.....

I then slather 'em with grease, so corrosion can't come back,....

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Engine Shutting off and all power to panel. Trim still works Very intermittent.

This was posted on Mercruser form sorry for the repeat but still trying to find a answer. I have been chasing a issue for about a year now. I have a 2015 Stingray 198 LX with a 4.3 mercruser 190 HP TKS. I will be running along and it just shuts off like you turned the key off nothing. Sometimes the ignition breaker trips. . I have checked every connection I can find. Everything looks good. Happens once in a blue moon you just never know. I have been told to replace breakers not done yet and Ignition switch. Can not make it happen when i want. Shook all connection etc Just happens when it wants to....HELPPPPP its driving me crazy... Thanks
Tags: None

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the big round connector at the engine

take all the connections apart and clean the contacts

check your ignition switch

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Scott this has been done ..except Ing switch still happen . Just replaced the ing switch we will see next time out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just so your aware, most trim systems are separate than the rest of the helm. most get their power directly at the battery connection at the starter. the rest of everything goes thru the round connector to the helm / ignition switch, then back to the motor thru the round connector

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Moved your new thread back into this one. The reason - You will get the same suggestions again without the thread history.

Since the trim and the rest of the boat are intermittent, the one common thing is the battery and wiring. Ignition switch is separate from trim except for sharing battery power.

When you say you checked connections, did you disconnect all of them and clean them? Looking isn't checking. Shaking the cables, did you try both ends? As in the positive on the battery and where it connects to the starter?

Do you have another battery to use? A bad internal battery post connection can cause this.

Ken Stephens

Seaman Apprentice
Just got in/ ran the boat all day about 6 hrs. Shook wires pulled connections . Boat ran great all day. I did change the ing switch. We will see. Its done this before but not with new ing switch..We will see if this fixed it i have been fooled before ..Thanks To all who gave advice.