Lower Shift Cable

Tarleto1984

Recruit
I have a Merccruiser 470, with a Alpha One. Im pretty sure i know what's wrong with it, just wanting a few other opinions. Took it out a few weeks ago and after backing the trailer into the water, I casted the boat off from the dock to pull it back on. It had ran fine all day. When I went to shift it into reverse I got nothing, the engine would reeve but would not engage. Safe for shifting it into forward. Finally I was able to get it to go into forward by slamming the throttle into forward a few times. So I read on one of the forums that it my be my lower unit and to drain the oil and look for metal shavings. I did that and found nothing. The oil looked perfect.
So I read somewhere about a clutch dog, when then sent me in the direction of the lower shift cable. That’s where I am at now. After adjusting it back into specs while the engine is off I can get it to go into forward, the prop will lock when its in forward. Reverse on the other hand only way to get it into reverse is to adjust it way out of specs. Still the prop will lock in forward and reverse. That’s with the engine off. Now when I put the boat in the water it still will not go into gear, unless I slam the throttle forward a few times. I can only use one though either forward or reverse.
So big question I guess is with it locking out of the water then then once its in the water, does that still point to the lower shift cable?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
how does it shift running on muffs? May have to remove the drive and inspect the components

harringtondav

Commander
My best guess The outdrive/lower shift cable core is clamped with two opposing set screws onto the plastic cable end that is secured onto the slotted groove stud in the shift plate lever. If these set screws are loose and allowing the core wire to slip, the lever will always push the cable core/wire back to engage FWD. But when you shift into REV, the lever pulls the cable wire/core. If those set screws don't have a tight grip on the core wire, REV will be delayed. Short story: Remove the O/D shift cable from the shift plate. Loosen the two set screws and pull off the plastic cable end and inspect the core wire for signs of slippage. Push the plastic end back on until the core wire bottoms, and clamp the hell out of those two set screws. You'll probably have to readjust the barrel nut to restore your shift timing.

Tarleto1984

Recruit
Gentleman here is what i have so far. I redid all the correct measurements for the shift cables, still will not lock into reverse period. Not while off of muffs or on. In forward it will lock while the boat is off no play in the prop at all going CCW. When i turn on the boat and put it into gear, (this is on muffs) the prop will spin with lots of clicking, and f i get out i can eventually hold the prop from moving, that causes even more clicking. So could this be a combo of lower shift cable and dog clutch? Like i said when i drained the lower units oil i found no metal at all.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
PLEASE don't ever touch the prop with the engine on!
you're not going into gear. Did you disconnect the shift cable and try shifting using the cable only? The cable should move with very little resistance. If so, and the drive goes into gear when you push/pull (forward/reverse, can do this engine off or on), you need to measure for slop in the cable. I don't know the numbers off hand,but achris has a video on adjusting the cable that you should watch if you haven't already.

Tarleto1984

Recruit
I did. Its the same effect when shifting the cable by hand, there is slight resistance, it is a smooth motion though. when the engine is off and i slide the cable it will lock into forward, when the engine is on it does still does the clicking noise and wont lock fully into drive. Nothing in reverse with the engine on or off. I did watch the video with some English guy going over how to adjust it and the measurements. The measurements are not off for forward, reverse on the other hand is just not engaging period now.