Boater Nightmare - Unfortunate choice of boat repair marina - Electrical problem???

ABurrell

Recruit
I have not used my boat in 3 years but have had it winterized each year but this year found the drain plug (wing nut) broken off and sitting at the bottom of the boat.
Last year, 7/14/17 I had the trim motor replaced because the up button on the throttle did not work and this was their fix. Needless to say the up button still does not work.
Unfortunately, I did not check their work and just kept getting my boat winterized and parking the boat in the garage for the last several years. Live and learn.
What I found when I was ready to go boating this year was a disaster.
  1. First, I had to get a new battery and then hooked it up
    1. Alternator started sparking and smoking
    2. Found that drive oil reservoir was over filled and the alternator was full of drive oil.
    3. Disconnected the alternator
  2. Reconnected the new battery and tried to start the engine and the starter spun but would not engage the flywheel. I thought this was odd but maybe because of the alternator sparking and smoking it ruin the starter.
    1. Purchased a new starter and the same problem, it spins but will not engage the flywheel.
    2. Tested volts and 12.6 volts is going to the starter directly.
    3. Attempted to connect the new alternator and touching the terminal on the alternator sparked so appears to have the same problem as I had before so I disconnected. Tested volts and 12.6 volts is going to the alternator directly.
  3. During this process I noticed that the gauges on the dashboard do not appear to work. Fuse in the Trim gauge was blown and replacing it just blows another fuse. Gas gage does not work but the boat lights, bilge, blower, and horn works.
So here I sit, frustrated and looking for a new marina to get the repairs done. Summer will be gone and another year of having a boat and not using it.
Any advice?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do you have your battery cables hooked up correctly?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Plus one on what scott said. Could it be possible that some critters got in the boat and chewed up the wiring?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Found that drive oil reservoir was over filled and the alternator was full of drive oil.

How can the alternator be full of drive oil? Do you mean something else?

Tested volts and 12.6 volts is going to the starter directly.

What polarity 12.6 volts? + or -

The starter not meshing with the flywheel - Turning backwards, check that you didn't reverse the battery connectors.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Those are the types of thing that happens when a boat is not used in several years. I'm not sure you can hang off of this on the marina, but maybe.

My advice is to become more involved with the maintenance of your boat. Don't expect it to be water ready, if it has not been used in a few years,

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
From that description, I'm almost positive your battery is backwards. You very likely fried other components also, reverse polarity tends to get very expensive.

As far as the trim, any competent mechanic should verify the signals coming from the switches before replacing stuff. It is rarely the motor, more likely the solenoids or the switch. (I had the exact same problem, the wires in the throttle handle will eventually rub and short out, hitting up actually shorted it out and opened both up and down solenoids, nothing moved.)

Maclin

Admiral
RE: Winterizing every year... if the boat was not used, if it just sat then there is no need to winterize again, just sayin'.

ABurrell

Recruit
First off, I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post. This is the first time I consulted iBoats. What a wonderful place for boaters to come and learn more about their boats from such excellent people. Kudos to all you boaters out there helping other boaters to learn about their boats. What a wonderful thing.
Yes, as embarrassing as it is, I did have the battery cables on backwards. I can’t believe I could have overlooked such a simple mistake. I guess I was just blinded by frustration. Quite red-faced about the whole thing but it was worth it since I found this site as a result of my frustration.
Thank you all.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A FYI for batteries
Obtain some Red and Green electrical tape and mark the color at the carrying handel AND at the cables that connect to the battery

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Two years ago I bought a "non running" snowmobile. It was an almost new condition four stroke Arctic Cat turbo 660. The owner said he put it away for the summer then when he pulled it out it wouldn't start. Cranked over but the computer wouldn't work and it would just crank and crank. He was sure the ECU was fried for some reason so I bought it for $300!! Anyhoo...I got it home and started some basic troubleshooting when I grabbed a schematic and realized...yep...the battery was hooked up wrong. Switched the thing around and started with a flick of the key. I still have that sled...and could easily fetch about $3k for it even after I've put 2 years worth of riding on it!

Sometimes it's the very basic things we overlook!

We've ALL been there!